forty-two

"You're kidding right? You didn't actually see that, you must be crazy..."

Demi tightened the blanket around her body, her knees poking her chin lightly. Her hair was soaked from the shower Norton had forced her to take. He honestly just wanted her to do something to get her mind off of what they had witnessed, but it looked like she was just as bad when she came back downstairs. 

She probably heard all the crying and screaming in the hallways when she was up there. 

Norton sighed, walking up to where the other survivor was standing in front of the sitting girl, questioning her about what she had seen after that dreaded match. He could feel the anger and annoyance running through him by their mindless asking.

God, this stupid fucking thief. 

"You did not find him dead. If he was, Emily wouldn't be trying to save him."

"Well, actually, no one said he was dead yet. We don't know a thing. Why don't you shut the fuck up and leave her alone?"

Kreacher looked up at the prospector, who's face looked all to serious for him to be joking at all. He slowly backed off, before leaving the room and the two people to their own business. 

Most everyone was staying in the kitchen or dining area, so the two and a few randoms were the only people in the actual main area of the mansion. Norton sat beside the shaking girl, relaxing into the couch they were on. 

"They're all so... annoying. They keep asking me about him, and I wish I, myself, knew what was going on. It's not fair... Norton..."

Demi looked over at the boy, tears stuck in her eyes but refusing to fall. She wasn't sure how exactly to feel. 

She had never even known the seer, but it was like that didn't matter. She saw from a distance the joy he brought to people. She saw that he could walk downstairs and people would smile purely at his presence. It was like he was a walking star, that shone through all the brightness. 

But he was also purely dark. 

Most people had noticed at this point, but the seer was dying inside. They could all see it. They all noticed the way he stopped smiling. He stopped shining. He stopped... living. 

"I know... It's stupid. It's all so stupid."

Demi looked in front of her, staring at the burning fire in the fireplace. 

She didn't really know how to breathe. She just felt... bad all around. Everything felt distant. It's like the way Eli felt was contagious. She was catching all the deadly feelings. 

-:-:-

Eli looked down at his hands. He wasn't sure what was happening. He... died, right? Like Joseph killed-

"What the fuck?" he whispered to himself through all the sobs. Emily was still crying on the floor, smiling despite everything. Tracy was there with her, them embracing each other on the floor. They were both just sobbing. 

Naib was standing with Aesop in the doorway. He had a small smile on his face, the sadness still obviously being there. 

Then there was Aesop's face. It looked like he had been crying for hours, but he wasn't anymore. He looked blank, with the only recognition of him actually being alive being the red in his eyes. It was almost deadly to see. Eli felt more sobs coming up in his throat. 

"I... I just..."

"Shush. Be quiet Eli. You can explain everything later. Just... let it be silent for awhile."

Emily's words made him tense. He felt... bad all around. 

Just then... Eli realized how much pain his body was actually going through. 

"Oh god... oh fuck, that fucking hurts."

He clenched his stomach, knowing that there were holes there and on his back. They burned in a way that he wasn't sure he's ever actually felt before. It was cancerous. Having that blade stuck in his body let him know the exact characteristics of the object. It was like the dagger was one with his soul, whether he liked it that way or not. 

The feeling of it penetrating the skin he called his own was something he would never be able to forget, no matter how long he tried. Felling okay again was definitely not an option now.

Emily looked up at the boy, before quickly standing and jumping up to his side. She ran her hand under his cloak, feeling around all the bandages and stuff, mostly to see if the wounds she had to stitch closed were open once again. 

When she saw that it was fine, she sighed in relief and backed off. Everything was still so quiet. It was almost unsettling, in a way. Eli just... wanted to tell them what happened, but he guessed it really didn't matter. Honestly, he just missed them all too much to care about anything else. 

"It hurts, Emily."

"I'm aware. Why... did you do that?"

Everyone looked at the boy, as they were ll wondering the same thing. He felt his heart drop. 

"Do what?"

Emily's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. He had to be joking. 

"What do you mean? Wu Chang came back and told us what you guys talked about, and then we find you almost dead in a ditch. It's pretty obvious-"

Eli cut her off with a small gasp. His eyes went wide, and tears rimmed his eyes. No way...

"You guys think I did that to myself? Like really?" 

Everyone but Aesop, who still looked to be in shock, slowly nodded. 

"Someone attacked me."

That was the snapping point. 

Aesop's gaze snapped up in one quick motion. He looked at Eli with wide eyed, before rushing over to him and gently grabbing his shoulder. The brunette felt terrified. 

"Who?"

"Don't worry about it-"

"Who?!"

"A hunter."

Aesop let go, his fingers curling into tight fists. They were getting nowhere. This was going to hell.

"Tell me who the fuck hurt you, Eli. They tried to fucking kill you."

"Most people want me dead." 

Eli grimaced. He knew he sounded like a prick, but if he was to tell them that Joseph did it, and the tall hunter found out he snitched, then they would all be at risk of dying, especially the people Eli loves most. 

Hell, it wasn't too far fetched of an idea that Joseph would go to the extent of killing everyone close to the boy and the people involved in saving his life right before his eyes then killing the main target after. Maybe, he would even force him to stay alive after that, to make it all even worse. 

Maybe he would just kill Eli instead of all the others too. 

Maybe... that wouldn't be a big deal.

-:-:-

Hi. I'm feeling pretty awful lately, but I mean, it's not really too bad, so I'll make it. 

It's all gonna be okayyyyy

Anyways, thank you all so much for reading and for all the support you guys give. I really appreciate it all, like I fr do, it means a lot to me. Since we are out of school right now, I should be updating quite a lot. Bro we might get like a hundred chapters, if I decide that I have no life. Nvm, that would be annoying. 

If you enjoyed this chapter or the book in general, feel free to tell me what you think in the comments. Thank u so much, my lovelies. 

-Mags++