Hajime x NewGuard!Reader || 5 Years Down The Road

I want it on record that Hajime is this only character in this anime that I am not, and never will be, romantically interested in

I want it on record that Hajime is this only character in this anime that I am not, and never will be, romantically interested in. I don't know what it is about him!! I just can't!! Which annoys me to no end because I pride myself on being able to see the lovable parts of everyone!!! AHHHHH

Hm. Well. Moving on. 

Based on the above excerpt ^^^^ Or, the idea of it. 

~~~

"So, where's the rookie I have to train?" Hajime asks around a cigarette, sounding about as excited about this as someone might be about going to McDonalds... when they had their hearts set on Disney Land. Hands in his pockets, and shoulders slightly hunched he turns around and the guard rooms doorway, is Mitsuru and the various new recruits he's giving away to the buildings' supervisors like Valentines. 

"Oooh, here you go!" The loud, obnoxious guard in the stylish glasses turns around and retrieves one of the recruits from what he's been referring to a his 'stash'(Really just a crowd walking behind him) and gestures for them to go into the room. He smiles hugely, but he couldn't possibly know what he's just done. 

As soon as you enter the building 13 guard room and see who's going to be training you, and he sees you, you want to run and hide. Hajime's mouth falls open and his cigarette falls to the floor, which a little blue-nette boy hurries to remedy before anything catches fire, sending Hajime a confused look. 

You both think hurriedly about what you should say, but nothing comes along and sure enough you two are just standing there, awkwardly glued to the floor. 

Mitsuru and the blue-nette, Seitarou, exchange a worried look and Mitsuru clears his throat loudly. "Heya! Whats going on? Hajime, man, aren't you gonna greet your new friend??" 

After a moment, Hajime comes to his senses and straightens up, and sets Mitsuru with a withering look. "Of course I am." Mitsuru raises his red, fingerless gloved hands and then takes his leave. 

"Okay. You got this Hajime, and good luck, Y/N!" 

Then Mitsuru is gone, and there's no way Seitarou is going to interrupt the two of you when you look so intense, so basically you're alone. "Y/N." 

"Hajime," A smile reaches your lips, having always been the more sunshiny one out of the two of you. And, besides, you're happy to see him! Despite how things between you ended 5 years ago. "I... didn't think I'd get this building." 

A deadpanned look takes Hajime's scary face. "Really?" Clearly, he doesn't believe you. Or he thinks you're stupid for thinking as such. Either way, you're insulted. 

"Excuse me, I didn't plan this, bud." Asserting your dominance with that comment, you step forward into the room- the glued to the floor with shock and awkwardness effect washed away with your words. "Anyway, I don't want to fight. It's been years, you look good. I hope you've been good. Either way, I'm under your command now, sir. At your service." 

Before Hajime, who has relaxed again with your words, can respond, a very loud, tall man barges in behind you through the door. Yamato raises his arm in greeting and beams hugely and sunny at Hajime and Seitarou looking meek behind him. "Hello, gentleman! Supervisor, I have gotten here on time. What are we up to today? Shall I take the prisoners for some training??" 

The man is loud, but he looks nice so you grin politely at him as Hajime looks unimpressed and rolls his eyes, hands on hips. "No, Yamato, none of them can move from yesterdays training so even if that was on the schedule, we couldn't." Your old flame takes out his pack of cigarettes, puts one between his teeth and lights it. "I could barely get them out of bed... Weak little shits. They're probably right back in their beds now." 

___ Change of setting, to cell 13 ___

"Mmm, beds so snuggly." Uno, contently snuggles down more comfortably under his blanket. Jyugo nods, eyes already closed like he couldn't keep them open a second longer and Rock yawns loudly. When he stretches his arms out, though, he makes a pained 'yow' sound and pulls them back. Those push ups yesterday really did a number on him. 

Nico is the only one not completely drained, due to Dr Otogi saying he was only to jog that day, as to not upset the medicine he had recently taken. The boy is laying on his bed, playing on his game box. "There's nothing like a lazy day in!" 

___ Back to you and Hajime in the guards room ___

"Anyway," Hajime turns back to you, rubbing the back of his neck like he's been up for 17 hours building a skyscraper. He looks at you from under the rim of his hat, assessing you and how you look now compared to before. You seem happier, which is not to say that you were never happy with him. The break up was hard, and unavoidable for both you though, and it left a strain across both your faces. 

Now, though, your hair is perfect and shiny again and your expressions are pure and sincere. He finds himself being glad, and a teeny, tiny smile finds its way to his lips. Of course, you notice, and smile back. "I think this'll be fine. If you're not comfortable with it, though, I can always get that dog from 4 to swap with me." 

"I think we'll work just fine together, Haj." As Hajime was assessing you, you were doing the same to him. And you're also relieved with what you see. He seems tired and frustrated, sure, but that's much preferred to the furious, hard bastard you had left behind. You had hoped he'd come back to this, and seeing him all better is rewarding so you smile bigger. "We always were a good team." Even if we didn't personally get along anymore. 

"Yeah, we were." 

BONUS! Behind the scenes. Or, really, behind Hajime. With Yamato and Seitarou

"So... what is happening?" Yamato enquires, standing beside the pretty little assistant.

Seitarou, having been watching the scene like one of his TV dramas, leans over to Yamato without taking his eyes off of Hajime and Y/N smiling at each other. "From what I've gathered, this is Y/N, our new in-training guard and they know each other already from the past." 

"Ohh," 

"And I'm figuring that they had a young love, which ended tragically." Seitarou frowns, and Hajime twitches. 

"YOU TWO MIND YOUR OWN GODDAMN BUSINIESS!" 

"Supervisor sir, do you need a hug?" Yamato asks, feeling sad for his colleague. 

"NO. GO WAKE THE INMATES IN CELL THIRTEEN, DAMNIT." 

"Aw, now don't be mean to him! He was just being nice to you!"