Chapter Ten

"What the heck is that?" Flynn asks. Guards begin to buzz around in the hallway. I search the room until I find a door to the safe room. I pull it open as Flynn says, "What are you doing?"

"No time for explaining yet. Come on," I say. I run back to him and grab his arm. I pull him to the door and begin to drag him down after I close it.

I begin to loose my footing as we hurry down the dark, steep hallway. I begin to think of the story my mother told me once about how she fell going down the steps to the safe room and fell. How she thought she had lost me.

The story clouds my mind and causes me to loose the little balance I had. I rumble down a few steps and someone's arms grabs me from behind. Flynn picks me up and carries me bridal style and continues down the steps.

I put my hands around his neck and rest my head on his cheat. I can feel his heart pounding. I take a deep breath and I breath in the scent of home made soap like my father uses.

"Can you please tell me what is going on?" he asks. I look down the hallway and a light begins to form as we get closer down.

"Rebels are attacking the palace. There haven't been as many since my father eliminated the castes but there are still attacks. I remember being terrified," I explain.

"So where are we going then?" he asks. The light grows and I can make out the outline of human bodies.

"The safe room. They are scattered all over the palace but this one is the largest. It's meant for the royal family," I explain. He nods as he concurs the last few steps.

"Celia!" my mother gasps. She and my father runs up to me. They take me out of Flynn's arms and wrap me in a hug.

"What happened?" my father asks. They help me into the safe room where most of the men and my brother wait. Flynn trails behind us but walks over to some couches where the rest of the men are.

"Flynn and I were running down the steps and I tripped. I'm fine," I explain. "Who isn't here yet?" I ask.

"Three of them. We don't all the names," my mother explains. I nod and watch as everyone else but Ethan comes in.

"Your majesty, we have to close the doors soon," a guard says.

"Give us five more minutes," my father says. My eyes flicker between the clock and the door. About 4 minutes through Ethan comes in panting with a red face.

"Where were you?" I ask as walks up to me.

"Some rebels had me cornered. A guard made it to me quick enough to help, though," he says. I nod as I except crutches from the guard and walk around to talk to all of the men.
Another chapter, yay! I say that a lot, don't I? Well, anyways. I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and don't feel like I was copying when Kriss fell.Please tell me what you think!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns this amazing series titled The Selection, not me.