Chapter Forty Nine

"So, are you ready for someone to propose?" Ethan asks. I shake my head. The white, wool scarf that I have wrapped around my neck restricts me from moving much, though. It's layered over my black, trench coat. My long, white skirt sticks out at the bottom. The chilly, late November air tunnels it's way under the skirt and nips at me legs.

"No. If it had been up to me this whole thing never would have happened. Instead, they would have waited at least five more years for a George to host it. It would have made much more sense, too," I say. He nods slowly as he leads me down a couple of steps that leads to a part of the garden that I don't go to very often.

"I think it would have made things easier for you. And also for the country. The only true fault in the plans, though, is their capability of leadership. If they aren't raised in the palace they won't know the way things are ran. I assume they would catch on after following your father around for several years but they could end up being a horrible dictator or turning the country over to rebels," he says as we weave our way through several tall bushes. Their limbs stick out and threaten to throw themselves at put bodies. When we found our way through, a small pond lies on the ground. A small waterfall falls down into it. It's just barely large enough for several people to stand up in. Three stone benches are placed in gravel surrounding it.

"That's good logic but that isn't what I'm worried about. I've known you all for three or four months and then I'm supposed to be engaged to you? I know that the country is important but what about me? What if I marry the wrong person? What if I can't stand them but I still marry them for the good of the country? Or if I accept a proposal and I found out they are really a jerk and a terrible ruler? Do I end it and make a fool of myself? Or do I go on with the marriage?" I confess. I sit down on the bench and pull my knees to my chest, ignoring everything I've been taught about being proper. Ethan sits down next to me and places his arm around my back. I watch as the water falls down the short distance between the pool and the ledge.

"Well, you could always always stage an accident," Ethan suggests. My head turns away from the pool and towards Ethan. He has a grin on his face that suggests it was a joke but I don't register that right away.

"That's not funny," I say. I smack his arm and it falls from my back.

"It was a joke," he says.

"I know but I'm being serious. This is a decision that will affect the entire world," I say. His goofy smile fades away. I stand up and slowly pace around the pond.

"Celia, you just need to calm down. Everything will be okay. Just sit back and smell the roses," he says. I shake my head and refuse to reply. This is the wrong decision, though, because suddenly I'm being pushed towards the pond. I breathe in and hold my breath just before I hit the water. It envelopes my body in an icy cold blanket. I push my head up from beneath the water. Ethan is sitting at the edge of the pool with a large grin on his face.

"What the heck was that?" I ask after gasping for my breath. He just shrugs and leans over, careful not to fall in, and splashes me with water.

"You need to loosen up," he says. He keeps his legs indian style and leans back, his arms supporting him.

"Oh, I need to loosen up?" I ask. He nods. I walk closer and he leans forwards.

"Yes. Yes, you do," he says. I grab his arm and pull him into the cold water. The water moves around in rushed waves. I can see his figure moving around under the water. When he comes back up, he is gasping.

"Why did you do that?" he asks. I grin.

"The same reason you did," I reply. This brings a grin to his face.

"Well, I'm glad it worked," Ethan says. He moves towards me.

"Me too," I whisper. He brings his forehead to mine. His lips are just inches from. An aching pain tells me to close the distance. But before I can do anything, Ethan speaks.

"For what it's worth, I think--no I know--you'll make the right decision. Whatever it might be," he whispers. Then, he closes the space between us. His lips lock with mine. And we stay like that for who knows how long in the freezing water.
Another update, yay! I really need something else to say for the beginning of my a/n... Please tell me what you think! I love reading your comments so keep them coming! Votes, too!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.