Chapter Eighteen

I close my eyes and listen to the music that flows through the hallway. I lean back against the door and fall to the floor. I have to order myself to get up so tears won't escape. I force my hands into fists and knock softly on the door.

The music stops. I hear a few muffled voices but no one bothers to open the door. I knock again and the voices stop. I manage to hear someone sigh and their footsteps advance to the door. A tired looking foot man opens the door.

"Um, can I help you, Princess Celia?" he asks. He blocks the rest of the room from view so I can't see in.

"Can I please talk to Flynn?" I ask. He looks behind him nervously. I bite my lip and stand there as patiently as possible.

"He doesn't wish to be bothered right now. Maybe come back later," he suggests. I sigh and shake my head.

"I need to talk to him now," I say. He steps out from the door and closes it behind him.

"Listen, Princess. I would let you in but he doesn't want you in. I can't disobey my duties, miss. I need this job," he says. I bite my lip again and nod. I think of a way around this for a few minutes until a lightbulb goes off in my head.

"You might be his foot man but I'm the princess. My rule over you is higher than his so I demand you let me in," I state. A smile curls on his face as he gets what I'm suggesting. He moves away from the door and motions towards it.

"Well, you have outsmarted me. Go ahead," he says. I nod to say thanks and walk in the room.

The room is a dark green with a neatly made bed resting against one wall. A small table sits at the back next to a dresser and wardrobe. At the other end of the room, a piano and guitar sit. Flynn sits at the piano with his back to me. He has sheet music in front of him and appears to be editing it.

"Did you talk her into leaving?" he asks. I sit down on the edge of the bed.

"Nope. I outsmarted him and convinced him to leave," I state. He turns around and is off the piano bench in seconds.

"Why can't you get that I don't want you in here?" he asks.

"Well, why can't you understand that I am a very curious person," I state. He rolls his eyes and crosses his arms.

"Celia, I don't understand why you have such a fascination with me and what I do," he says.

"Why can't I? Is it a crime?" I ask.

"To go around making people feel like they matter when they mean nothing to you?" he asks. I shake my head. I'm confused as to where all of this is coming from.

"What are you talking about?" I ask. He shakes his head like I should no what he is talking about.

"Oh like you don't know. Your other boyfriends, Celia?" he asks.

"I don't have any boyfriends," I declare.

"Oh so what do you call playing videogames and acting like idiots?" he asks.

"That didn't mean anything," I say. He rolls his eyes again.

"Well, I'm sure every time we've done something it didn't mean anything, either," he says. I jump up from my seating position and walk over towards him.

"Flynn, explain to me what the check you are talking about," I spit. He keeps a courageous face. It doesn't waver with fear or nervousness.

"Celia, I've felt something between us. I guess you haven't felt it or you're ignoring it. But, it is there. And, I don't know what is going on with you. Can you blame me for being upset?" he asks.

"Well, what about me? You tell me you can't do a thing but here you are playing the piano better than anyone I know," I challenge.

"And why does that even matter?" he literally spits in my face. Our faces our just a few inches apart. Our crossed arms just barely miss each other.

"Because I care about you. Dang it, I care about you," I spit back. Then, his lips are crashed against mine. He removes the space between us and the argument we were just a part of melts away.
So, I've wrote this chapter three or four times and this one turned out the best. I knew this was how I wanted her first kiss to be but I couldn't figure out how to start the argument so I'm sorry if it didn't make sense. And Celia's first kiss! Yay! Please comment, vote, and leave ideas!

Disclaimer: Kiera Cass owns The Selection, not me.