Part 32: Go Rest High On That Mountain

Unedited::: beware it's sad sad

A knock on my door is heard so I pause my movie and put my laptop to the side.

"Come In!" Dad opens my door but the usual smile I expect to see is replaced with a tear stained face and sad frown.

"Dad, what's wrong?" I quickly get up and rush over to him and pull him into a hug.

"Grandma is really sick i-in the h-hospital and t-the doctors don't t-think she will li-" dad can't even finish his words he breaks down in a sob and pulls me closer.

No, no this can't be happening I refuse to believe this.

"What happened? W-why is she in the hospital!" I have tears streaming down my face that refuse to let up.

"She is e-eaten up with cancer a-and they can't do anything about it." Dad lets out another sob and buries his head on my neck.

God why do these things happen to the best people?

~~~~

Grandma died the next morning, I refused to believe it and still don't want to come to reality with the god awful truth.

But the reality comes crashing down when Dad, Clayton, uncle Joel, Seth, Alex and Noah carry in her casket.

I lay my head on moms shoulder and quietly cry. Grandma was the nicest and most caring person why did this have to happen to her?

The boys place down the casket and slowly walk back to their seats.

Brother Chris walks up to the stand and sadly hangs his head. "Scarlett was the nicest woman that you would have ever met, many would agree. But if she did not like you have mercy you would know." The old Baptist church filled with many close friends erupts into sad laughs. I feel a squeeze on my hand and look over to Noah who's smiling at me with a loan tear going down his face.

"Everyone in this part of Alabama loved her and gosh be it if you didn't you had something wrong in that mind of yours. Her and Walker were always here every Sunday. Right beside them would be their two boys that all of Montgomery through Lee County knew. Will and Joel were the most trouble makin' boys that you would ever lay eyes on but Scarlett still loved them with everything in her even if they did get in trouble with the county sheriff every night." Dad and Joel quietly laugh and I imagine grandma sitting right beside them both flicking them in the head.

"Today we came here to honour Scarlett I remember her saying to me 'if anyone cries at my funeral I want you to get my grandson Clayton up there and say a few words he will have them laughing in no minute.' "

I look over to Clayton who's smiling through the tears and seeing him cry automatically makes more tears come out.

"Elizabeth your grandma also said something to me in the hospital a few hours before she passed. Would you please come up here please?" I nod and excuse myself from the pew and walk over to the stand.

Brother Chris slides a note over to me that I shakily open.

My dearest Elizabeth I know you hate being in the spotlight but I remember you and me singing this song and it always made me smile. So please do your old grandma a huge favour and sing it.

Love grandma.

I look over to Brother Chris who's already smiling at me then he hands me a freaking microphone.

I can't sing worth a crap but this was grandmas wish and I would do anything to have her back.

I turn the microphone on and the music soon starts.