Part 43: Princess

May 16th, 2019: Elizabeth's graduation day.
Unedited

I look at myself in the girls locker room mirror and let out a shaky breath. My pink dress falls a few inches above my knees, while my heels give me a little advantage of height.

I've waited for this day ever since freshman year, and now that it's here. I'm sad.

I reach over and grab the graduation gown from the metal chair. Once I pull it over my head, I look in the mirror and straighten it out then put the cap on my head.

Wow.

Never thought this day would come. "Elizabeth!" I turn around and smile when I see my childhood best friend Emme, running towards me in her own cap and gown.

She wraps me in a hug then let's go after a solid minute; she's big on hugs.  "Let's go do this you beautiful girly!"

Ten minutes later I'm second in line to walk across that stage and get my diploma. This is it, high school will be over.

I look around the large gymnasium and about poop myself. Lord, that's a lot of people.  "Garrett Brech," The principle says as Garrett walks across the stage and shakes Mr Knights hand.

Oh my gosh it's my turn, shoot me please. I already know my ludicrous family is about-

"Elizabeth Smith!" Here we go.  "HELL YEAH THATS MY BABY GIRL!"  Oh my gosh.  Shouts and hollers are heard all around the gymnasium as I shake Mr knights hand and gather my diploma.

"You are one strong kid Elizabeth." I look up at Mr Knight and give him a smile then turn to the camera and smile as the flash goes off.

I take one good look around the gymnasium and let a huge smile take over my face when I see all of the football players from Trenton high taking over half of the top section.

Once I'm in my seat I look over to Emme and see her already smiling at me. "We did it bitch." She mouths. 

Twenty minutes later everyone has gotten their diplomas and are sitting in their seats. Mr Knight walks up to the microphone and taps on it which resorts in a loud screech sound.

"Oh shit," he says then turns beet red. Everyone bursts into a fit of laughter which soon cuts short when he starts to speak.

"Sorry about that y'all, at this time I would Miss Elizabeth Smith to come join me on the stage, she has a few words to share with y'all."

I get out of my chair and walk up the stage to the podium. Once I take my place, I take a shaky breath then let the words start flowing out.

"Hey y'all," I say with a smile on my face. "At the beginning of the school year I had no idea what the school year held. I wasn't even attending this school at the time, heck I was in a different state!"

Laughs are heard throughout the auditorium which makes me smile even though the real thoughts running through my head are 'why am I still even here right now?'

"Some things change in life, like people, or even, ourselves. Six months ago I was the happiest I could have even been, but again, things change. When I felt like I wasn't myself anymore, I decided to do what was best for me. I packed my bags and moved back home."

Keep in the water works Elizabeth, you got this.

"When I came back to school I decided to put my main focus back on school work and not whether or not I was worthy enough in the eyes of society. Reputation isn't the only thing that matters throughout high school. Yes, still have fun and make memories that you can look back on in ten years and smile about, but don't make dumb decisions that will get you nowhere in life."

I brush a tear away and continue my speech or whatever the heck you want to call it.

"To the under class men, fall in love, go to the football games, have fun, study for that test even if you don't want to because this day comes faster than you know it. So that's all I have to say for that."

I turn towards Mr Knight who's wiping away a tear with a grin on his face. "Good job" he months then gives me a thumbs up.

I take my seat right as Mr Knight tells us to stand up. "Well shit, it's been one hell of a ride princess." I look beside me and see my best friend Clyde smiling at me as he pulls me into his side.

"Will the class of two-thousand and twenty please move your tassel to the left side." We all do as instructed and I swear we are all crying.

"And that's your class of 2020 everyone!" We all take our caps off and throw them up in the air.

I turn to Clyde and find him already looking down at me. "Love you Princess." "I love you too retard." He picks me up and spins me around which erupts a loud scream from me.

Me and Clyde have been best friends since I was five years old. He was the main one I missed while I was in Georgia. When I got back we spent a lot of time together, he never tried to ask too many questions and that's what I mostly respected him for.

"Thanks for being my queen at prom princess." Yep prom queen, I was surprised.

"Your welcome, I still think you rigged those votes though." Clyde puts me down and let's out a big loud laugh. "Yeah, you wish"

"I'll see you later Clyde, I gotta go see my family." I say as I start backwards walking. "Bye princess."

I turn back around and stand on my tip toes in hopes of seeing my family. "LIZZY!" The breath was knocked out of me when freaking Clayton picks me up and squeezes me to him.

"Hey you dip shit! We haven't seen our babydoll in a long time let her go!" Babydoll

That name instantly makes me want to cry but I can't do that right now, not in front of everyone.

Clayton let's me down as I'm brought into another hug. "I've missed you." Matt says into my hair as he rocks us back and forth.

I lean back out of the hug and smile at Matt. "You grew out your hair!" Matt's once wavy regular length hair has now grown a few inches past his ears.

"Yeah I'm working for a mullet, supposedly that's what the guys up in Tuscaloosa are doing these days." Matt says as he puts his hat back on backwards.

"Tuscaloosa?!" Matt laughs and brings me back into a hug. "Yep, I'm gonna be sayin' roll tide now shorty." He ruffles my hair then kisses the side of my head.

One hour later all of my friends from Georgia are gathered all throughout granddaddy's house. I look out the back windows and see all of the guys throwing the football around. The warm evening sky is covered in a beautiful orange and pink sunset that brings back so many memories from throughout the years.

I get up from the barstool and grab my glass of sweet tea from the counter. "I'm gonna go sit on the front porch mama." I give her a hug then make my way out the front door and onto the porch swing.

The late evening crickets are singing along with the sound of laughter coming from the back pasture.

"Well I'll be damned." I turn my head so fast to the sound of a very familiar voice.
___________________________
Sorrryyyyyyy. Dear lord I'm sorry for the very late late update. School is so heckin hard at the moment and I had a bad brain fart and no ideas came to mind 😂.