The Journey Within

I watched the stars pass us by as I gently pet Luna's head while she slept.

I smiled happily at the serene silence that surrounded me.

But even though the silence was nice, I felt uneasy about something. I stood up, accidently waking Luna up and sitting back down in my pilot seat.

"Any news from Earth yet, Pidge?" I asked.

"No, still nothing. Allura, try the sonic wave."

"Okay, I'll try."

Allura attempted to power up the Blue Lion, but with no luck.

"It's still not working. And it probably won't work again until our power-cores are recharged."

"Roger that."

"Pidge, any nearby planets?" I asked tapping my screens and apreading my long-range scanners.

"Nope. Our long-range scanners still haven't found any planets nearby."

"What about star systems?"

"Nothing."

I sighed, leaning back into my chair as Luna walked up to my side and lay her head on my lap.

I took comfort in her warmth, petting her once again.

"Ugh. How long have we been out here?" Lance groaned.

"Going on four movements." Romelle answered.

"And how is it gonna take us to get to Earth at this speed?"

"I think Pidge said something like ten billion deca-phoebes."

"I said one and a half Earth years." Pidge corrected.

"Whoa, whoa. Wait, there's a big discrepancy between tenn billion deca-phoebes and one and a half Earth years. Which one is it?." Hunk said.

"It's one and a half Earth years! We've gone over this several times, though tgere may be a margin of error of about a month, depending on any time dilation we encounter." Pidge shouted.

"All right everyone, let's just take a deep breath and calm down." I said trying to cool down my comrades.

"Zurine is right." Shiro said., "Look, we knew this wasn't going to be an easy or quick voyage, but replacing the Castle of Lions is our top priority."

"We just have to stay sharp amd maintain discipline. We knew when we started this journey that we'd be low on power. We didn't plan on going through the galactic void, but we'll get through it." Keith wisely said.

I smiled proudly. Keith had grown from the silent, solo boy he was when we became defenders of the universe about two years ago.

I was proud that he had opened up to the others and  saw that they could be trusted and helpful.

"Don't worry, guys. We'll run into something eventually that will turn this ship around." Lance said

"What makes yoy so sure?" Hunk asked.

"If my experience in space has taught me anything... it's that something always comes along to either try to kill us, kidnap Zurine, or both."

I sighed and laughed.

"Are you trying to jinx us, Lance?" I joked.

"I'm just preaching the truth."

I sighed and yawned, getting out of my chair and sitting down against Luna's soft belly.