"I Want You"

Next day. At the Firehouse. In the group room. 

I walked inside, smiling "Good morning, everybody!"

They all looked at me amused. 

Herrmann "The Chief wants to see you , Flo. "

I nodded "okay"

Then i walked into the Chief's office. 

Me "Morning, Chief"

he looked at me "morning, Florence"

Then i noticed the book in front of him "i thought McLeod burned all of our old logbooks in town square. What year you got there?"

Chief took his glasses off " '85."

I shook my head, confused "i don't suppose you're just cruising memory lane"

Chief "factory fire on Haskell, high heat, asbestos falling like snow. no masks back then. "

He looked at the book and pointed at three crossed out names "three of these men are dead. Lung cancer. "

My stomach dropped and i sat down .

In the meeting room. 

The Chief and i walked inside. Everyone was here. 

I walked over to a table and leaned against it. 

Chief "hey. Our house had been under the microscope lately. Everyone in this room has handled the various intrusions like professionals i know you to be, and that is why 51 is still going strong. "

We started to clap.

Chief "it's your commitment to the house that allowed me to announce my retirement from the C.F.D."

Everyone went silent. 

The Chief took a deep breath "it's been an honor to serve with every single one of you"

I looked down in tears. 

Cruz shook his head confused  "Chief..."

Suddenly the alarm went off "Engine 51, Truck 81, Squad 3, Ambulance 61, Battalion 25. Railroad incident. South Homan and 75th"

Chief "Let's go to work"

at the Railroad accident. 

Kelly looked at me "did you know?"

I looked at him "does it matter?"

Then i looked out the window and my jaw dropped. 

Casey said over the radio "Chief, i'm seeing multiple commuter cars derailed, at least a hundred fleeing passengers and several fires including cars and a building "

Kelly said into the radio "We're gonna need more alarms, Chief"

--

We got out of the trucks. 100ds of people were running around like headless chickens. 

Kelly "Chief, we'll take the passenger car"

The Chief nodded and everyone started to go to work. 

---

I was walking two victims over to Shay and Dawson when the Chief called me in over the radio. 

Chief "Florence, you and i go into the building"

I nodded "Aye, Chief"

then he and i rushed into the building. 

Chief called out "Fire Department, if you can hear me, call out!"