"The Mutation"

Next day, At the Firehouse. In the meeting room. 

Riddle "The problems Chief Boden faces are regrettable. our thoughts are with him as he deals with his private legal matters, but those thoughts are for outside these walls. In here, we have sworn to put our own personal troubles aside and focus on protecting the citizens of Chicago. Now, in order to handle that, we have to have unassailable leadership. Which is why it is my honor to name Dallas Patterson the new Battalion Chief for Firehouse 51. Come on up here, Chief. Collect your bugles. "

I scoffed shaking my head.

Patterson nodded "Thank you, sir"

Everyone started to clap but it was a sad one. 

Patterson "i am not blind. I know all of you are unenthusiastic about these circumstances. I can't do anything about the past. What i can do, is affect the future. Professionalism, respect, attention to detail. These are the small things that we can focus on to get 51 back on track. I am asking you to trust me"

 I held back a laugh. 

Patterson "i can't do this alone. All right, let's get out there ad have a great shift. "

the alarm went off "Truck 81, Ambulance 61, vehicle accident, 828 West Cermak"

At the dining table.

I sat down at the dinning table and saw Capp, Otis, Cruz and Mouch trading glances.

Me "what ?"

Capp shook his head "nothing"

Me "what did I do now?"

Capp "it's not abut what you're doing. It's about what that  candidate is doing"

I looked at him confused "what are you talking about?"

Cruz "that candidate has a crush on you"

I shook my head "no, he doesn't"

Mouch nodded "He has, and you, for some reason, let it happen"

I rolled my eyes annoyed "I am only being nice to him, that's all"

Mouch "but he's misinterpreting your kindness"

I shook my head "not my fault"

Capp "and we're all just wondering when Severide's gonna explode"

I eyed them ""wondering"? Huh? Sounds more like betting on when Severide's gonna pop that kid's head off"

Capp nodded "true"

Otis asked confused "why don't you just tell Jimmy that you're taken?"

i answered confused "I thought it was clear I'm taken? "

Otis shook his head "no, you guys aren't really showing each other off like you used to"

I nodded, grimacing "yeah, about that, ähm, I'd appreciate it if neither of you would talk about my relationship with Kelly in front of Patterson"

Otis "why?"

Me "Because that would mean I'm dating my Lieutenant. You think Chief Patterson would allow that?"

They all nodded in agreement.

Capp "you wanna join the bet?"

I shot him a look "are you kidding me? I am not putting a kid's life in danger just because he chose the wrong girl to crush on"