8: Stall Talk

Raven

Raven

I hit the punching bag again and again getting out the frustration of my life. Long ago I choose to never be a victim again. When I moved here, the moment I had extra change I signed up at the local gym and took the boxing classes that were available. I even got a gun license with a registered Glock by my bed and a shotgun in the barn.

Even my little girl comes to gym, she came with me once and loved it just as much as I did making her beg to be signed up for her own classes. Part of me will always be broken hearted that she didn't have the childhood she deserved, whatever she wants I will find a way to give it to her. I will be sure she is strong for whatever comes her way, and she feels the same, to never be the girl scared for when her father comes home.

Josh took something from us both, he will always haunt me and I pray that Sienna won't ever remember that night. When I met him he was nice, high school sweethearts where the girl got pregnant too early. The classic stories the police hear. Though it took till Sienna's birth, when they found out her hearing wasn't perfect, he changed. Josh expected perfection and in his eyes Sienna wasn't perfect and I was carrying body weight I didn't shouldn't. That's when the beatings started on me and with Josh's position in the Boston government nothing stuck to him despite the amount of hospital and police visits. Six years in that hell before he came after Siena and the night that changed everything.

People may judge me that it took six years to get out but when your husband doesn't let you out of the house and completely controls you in the fear that he will take your little girl from you... you can't do anything. I mean I tried twice and after the last time, the beating and threats of taking her away I was stuck, stuck in hell. How could I take the risk that his money will take my daughter away from me and give her to him? Then who would protect her from that monster?

My fist slammed into the bag harder.

I shielded Sienna from that. Josh ignored her with her bad hearing. Her father never let her in his presence and she could only sign but that was due to the fact he wouldn't put money in for hearing aids. He left her emotionally insecure where she only talks with her hearing aids in and is sometimes scared to sign unless she is sure the other person doesn't mind.

Like Tatt. When Sienna got worried and scared about him lashing out about signing he comforted her about it and gave her the green light. For some reason, my little fighter has taken to him, following him around the barn like a puppy.

Tatt. Why does every time I think of him I flutter? Or anytime I try to talk to him hoping he says something stupid, flirty that will make me realize he would only play me for what's between my leg. But he does the opposite. Being honest, and sincere.

"Mommy I'm all done." Sienna said making me hold my fists as I breathed in deeply. Her hair in braids, the small boxing gloves in her hands.

I smiled at her. "As am Sweetie, shall we pack up and head home?"