21: That Night

Tatt

Tatt

My body jolted awake hearing screaming, my hand immediately flying to my piece placed on the bedside table. Raven jump up from beside me, grabbing a robe and was out of the door in a flash. Hearing another scream coming from the hall I rushed out of bed, grabbing my jeans, pulling them up and ran down the hall. I soon found myself in Sienna's room where Raven was rocking her saying soothing words. The gun quickly placed in the back of my jeans to keep it out of sight.

Jesus Christ, she looks terrified.

Fucking hell she sounded it.

I am not sure what I am supposed to do. Help comfort her?

There was something I am missing, I can barely pick up Sienna's whispers about a gun, anger, dad. It must be the night Raven always brushed quickly off, Josh's suicide.

Fucking hell was Sienna there?

My body turned walking down the hallway where I found myself in the kitchen looking through the pantries, grabbing a pot and mug. Ten minutes later I found myself back in Sienna room kneeling down and handing her a cup of hot chocolate; both of my girls looking me up with small smiles with tears down their faces.

Raven mouthed 'thank you' taking the cup and giving it to Sienna. Knowing this was private I stepped out of the room walking back to the kitchen to make a cup of tea for Raven. It was time for Raven to tell me about that night; the true story of that night.

I won't make her, but I can see that she is ready. She can't keep these secrets anymore, they are too heavy.

Thirty minutes later Raven came walking in, putting the empty cup of hot chocolate in the sink and taking the cup of tea I made for her in her hands. A deep shaky break being released from her lips as her eyes rimmed red. I stood in front of her, wiping the stay tears on her cheeks as she took another shaky breath then a sip of tea. Taking the cup, I put it on the counter and gathered her in my arms; holding her as tightly as I could. As if I could help shield her from the pain that Josh caused and still causes my girls.

"What happened that night Raven." I whispered softly against her ear instantly making her go rigid as she untangled from me and walked to the kitchen window overlooking the barn.

"What do you mean, what night?" She responded.

I took a deep breath to keep myself from getting angry that she wouldn't trust me with that night. "Raven. You can trust me with the truth."

Raven spun around her eyes swimming with emotion, "what did you think happened? What do you want me to say? That Josh spent that night beating the shit out of me when he found out the usual responding officers were going to make a huge case against him to get me out? That he swung a gun around? That for the first time he went after Sienna hurting her? What do you want me to say?"