Chapter 1

Freyas POV

There was crashing and screaming came from downstairs. I poked my head out from the cupboard I was hiding in. I saw nothing that could have explained what was happening. I stumbled out of my hiding spot to see who was upset and as I got to the top of the stairs I noticed the door was open. My mum would never leave the door open in fear that I would escape I thought to my self. I carried on and one step at a time I made my way down the steep stairs to find out who was hurt. As I reached the bottom stair it creaked and I froze at the sound. 

After a few moments, I continued down the stairs and I could see that someone was there. The mystery person was standing over a small fragile body who looked unconscious or possibly worse. He wasn't helping them. He spun around and saw me looking at him. I got scared but quickly looked at who he was standing over. IT WAS MY MOM. The evil man before me had killed my mom. there was blood all over the wall on which she leaned. The kitchen table was on its side and there was broken glass on the hardwood floors. The man had one of my mum's vegetable knives in his hand and it as covered in blood. He saw me staring and started to walk towards me. My mum told me that if I was ever in trouble go to the dresser so that's what I did. I turned around and started to hike back up the stairs.

When you're 9 and terrified it's hard to go upstairs when you're being chased by a man holding a sharp knife. I was nearly at the top of the long track of stairs and he was nearly on top of me. I tucked my tiny self into an even smaller ball at the very top of the stairs. The murder didn't have enough time to stop so he tripped over me and fell face-first onto the light brown carpet of the upstairs hallway. My height and weight made it so I could fit into tiny places and I often use it to my advantage when playing hide and seek, it also made it easier for me to climb onto higher places that others might have struggled with. I grabbed ahold of the stair railing and pulled myself onto the banister I felt something cold scratched me as I started to slide down the banister. I could feel the knife blade cutting into my side followed by the warmth of my blood leaving my body and soaking my clothes, I will never forget the pain that overwhelmed me at that moment. The only thing that kept me moving was the thought that I could get revenge on this man for what he did to my mum. Everything went in slow motion from then on.

I landed with a firm thud on the floor at the end of, the now covered in blood, banister. The adrenaline kicked in and I remembered that I needed to call for help. As I ran to the kitchen where the phone was I could hear the murders footsteps getting closer and closer and panic flooded my senses. I picked up a kitchen stool so that I could reach the phone and grabbed it as quick as I could then I ran to my second home, a treehouse in my backyard. From my treehouse, I could see the windows on that side of the house and the backdoor. I climbed up the ladder and I quickly untied it once I was up so that he couldn't get up to me. I phoned the police and told them everything that had happened to me and my mother. "I have sent both an ambulance and two police cars to your place. Stay quiet and still and stay on the phone. If you need to talk make sure you whisper."

"OK. I can see him but I don't think he knows where I am. When do the police get here? I don't feel too good." I had taken my ivory jacket off and tied it around my waist to put presser on my wound.

"They will arrive there shortly. Just stay safe and keep talking but quietly." her voice was worried and I could hear her explaining to other people asking her what was happening. They all seemed worried too.

"Ok, " I felt sick and not just from the murder and seeing my mum died. I felt like I was going to faint and I needed to have help but there was no one there to help me. " I feel ill and like I will faint. What do I do..." My voice faded as I fainted.

Third-person POV

"Hello? You alright? Hello! Oh my god, she's not responding to my questions." The operator was talking to the people around her and they were all concerned about what had happened to Freya. The operator had been explaining everything to the people around her and they all stood up and walked over to her. 

Freya's POV 

I later was awakened by my neighbour carrying me over to the ambulance where I was to get the help and care that I desperately needed. "What's happening?" I looked him in the eye. He looked distressed and relieved at the same time. He looked at me with sad eyes and placed me carefully as he could onto the ambulance bed. The police couldn't find the murder but are prepared to do whatever they can to find him and protected me no matter what. The ambulance took me to the hospital and I had to have 10 stitches just above my hip from the wound the knife gave me. Well technically the murder gave me the wound but I didn't care. I wanted to go home.

A few weeks past and I was still living with my neighbours. I wished my mum was there to see it but instead someone stole her life. Her funeral would be tomorrow and I was not ready to go. If I went then it would seal in her death and to me, she was still alive. People said that it was just one of the stages of grief and soon I would except it a bit more. Everything was planned for that day down to where the last flower would be placed. I was to wear a black dress that had a slit up one side that goes from my knee to halfway up my thigh. It had lace that went all the way around with lace arms and collar.

Tomorrow we are going to a funeral that I wished didn't have to happen.