thirty-nine.

"I can't drive, suspended for a year." Hyungwon sighed softly, readjusting his FaceTime camera. "I'm taking online classes, trying to keep up all the A's I have before they make me start attending classes down at the Teacher's Association."

I nodded, typing away as I worked on an essay I had due next week. Wonho came into the room, knocking before he entered. "Dad said five more minutes." He sighed a bit. "Hey, man." He offered before heading back downstairs.

"I hate this," Hyungwon sighed. "I hate that I can't see you, I can't hold you. I can't be with you."

I shrugged softly. "That's what a parent has to do to keep their child safe sometimes. And I still haven't forgiven you. When we start therapy together, maybe? But this is what we need... and you know that even then, I may not ever feel the way I've felt about you before." Hyungwon nodded acceptingly. We said goodnight and I hung up, sighing softly.

This was the agreement. Jaesung would help me post bail if I didn't see Hyungwon again. I told him that wasn't happening, it was inevitable that we'd see each other. So we talked for hours about how we could make it work. I told him that we wouldn't be seeing each other romantically for the time being. I'd be focused on my GED classes, getting a job and working my way into independence again. I knew my plan for life was going to be set for me until I was at least 22. I'd get me on my feet, going into college for what I wanted. Things were looking up for me, I just had to try my hardest to stay away from Hyungwon.

It wasn't as hard as you'd think. I shut my laptop, grabbing my phone. "Okay, it's Saturday, can I please go see Changkyun?" I asked as I headed downstairs.

"Is Hyungwon going to be there?" Jaesung asked. I shook my head. "Promise?" I nodded smiling softly. "And he's outside already, so it'd be embarrassing if I said no?" I laughed a bit.

I looked at my phone. "Really embarrassing?" I giggled softly. "I promise, I keep my end of my agreements. I won't let you down." Jaesung smiled and sent me off. "Goodnight, you guys."

Wonho smiled softly, "Night, Ki." I closed the door behind me and jogged to the street.

"For a minute there," Changkyun chuckled. "I thought you weren't gonna make it."

I rolled my eyes. "Jae trusts you, he trusts us." I clicked my seatbelt, reaching to hold Changkyun's hand. "How was your day?" I asked.

Changkyun put the car in gear before reciprocating my offer. "Tiring, I'm really getting tired of customers. The station's kinda got a fucked up ratio. The pros and the morons. Can't tell the difference between gasoline and apple juice." He laughed a little bit. "Sucks without Hyungwon there. I'm probably leaving soon."

I frowned slightly. "Awe, you miss your buddy?" I giggled, poking his dimple.

He smiled a bit. "Real shit? I kinda do." He said, turning into a McDonald's drive through.

"Bitch," I furrowed my eyebrows, dramatically throwing his hand back at him. "I'm your buddy." We started laughing a bit again. I pulled up on my seatbelt, making sure it was clicked.

Changkyun reaches in his pocket for his wallet. "What do you want?" He asked, checking for cash.

"Uhm," I looked at the menu for a second, messing with my seatbelt again. "Bacon ranch grilled chicken salad? 10 piece nugget with buffalo sauce, fries." I looked down at my seatbelt. "This doesn't feel tight."

Changkyun placed our orders, pulling up to the first window. "It's not supposed to be tight when you're resting." I shook my head, still trying to make sure it was tight enough. I soon began to shake my leg.

When we got our food, I sighed a bit. "Pull over, Kyunnie." I whined, trying to fix the way I was sitting. Changkyun pulled over, looking at my intently. I unbuckled my seatbelt and sat all the way up, I adjusted my seat before buckling my seatbelt again. This time, I pulled the belt all the way down until it locked me into the seat, no matter how uncomfortable it was.

"What's wrong, Kihyun?" Changkyun asked, taking my hand.

I shook my head. "W-we usually drive in the daytime. You usually come get me at sunset, we're at your place before it gets dark. Last time someone drove me at night, I needed a sedative. We were coming home from the hospital and I was panicking so much, I wouldn't let anyone put me in the car." I mumbled, gripping my seatbelt tighter. "Time before that, Hyungwon almost killed me."

Changkyun leaned over and kissed my forehead, holding my free hand. "Let's get home, we're only a few minutes away, okay?" I nodded, tears falling. My chest was getting tighter. I hated night time driving now. It used to be my favorite.

We got home, the panic subsiding completely. "I'm okay now," I sighed. "What are we watching tonight?" I asked, getting out of the car.

"Maybe a horror movie?" Changkyun offered. "Or comedy?" He picked me up, letting me wrap my arms and legs around him and handed me the food afterward. That's how we almost always entered the house.

I was feeling frisky as I put the bag down on the front table. "Maybe... maybe we do romance." I kissed his neck softly, jumping out of his arms for the moment. "We save the food for when we build up an appetite." I giggled a bit, nibbling at Changkyun's ear.

He chuckled a bit, wrapping his arms around me. "You're mischievous today," Changkyun chuckled, placing a soft kiss on my lips. "You're gonna fall asleep afterward. Let's watch a movie and eat." He suggested, taking the fun out of everything.

I groaned softly. "Fine, but it's not the movie I'll be paying attention to."

I loved our nights together. It's only been a month since Hyungwon was released and that day, I needed Changkyun. The anxiety of Hyungwon bothering me again was taking over. Needless to say, Changkyun found a way to get my mind off of it. I never even noticed, but when Changkyun took off my necklace, telling me he refused to fuck me while I was still attached to Hyungwon again, I felt immense relief. It was like euphoria. I knew I belonged here. After that day, Changkyun never forgot to remind me that I was free. These weekends with him helped me believe it.

We did talk about the possibility of me ever going back to Hyungwon once. "Well, you and I are always gonna be together. We're linked for life, Ki. Even if you move on, and I hope you don't, but I know how free your spirit is..." he sighed softly, kissing me a bit. "Even if you move on, you're not gonna feel as great as you do with me. That's just a fact." He was right about that.

I was perfectly content sitting here with my best friend. My soulmate. And then I get a call. "Hello?" I answered, rolling my eyes.

"Kihyun?" Hyungwon answered, tears evident in his voice.

I didn't even have the energy to ever seem like I cared. "What's up, Hyungwon?" I asked, cuddling into Changkyun.

Hyungwon sniffled softly. "I-I just miss you, so much." I shook my head, hanging up.

"No one fucks with our time." I kissed Changkyun's cheek, laying down on his chest as I grabbed some fries. I eventually just fell asleep on his chest.

When I woke up, Changkyun wasn't next to me. It was still late. I sighed, rubbing my eyes. I was only out for maybe an hour. I sat up, stretching and popping my back. "Kyunnie?" I called, getting up. I went to the door, looking outside. He was outside, lighting a joint. "You can't just leave me like thi-" I was greeted with the sight of Changkyun, lighting a joint. With Hyungwon.

"What's he doing here?" Hyungwon asked softly. "I thought he was home."

I scrunched my face in disbelief. "I just wanted you here so I could say this to your face. So you could hear it." Changkyun got up, getting in Hyungwon's face. "Stop pining after my boyfriend." With that, he headed in the house, leaving Hyungwon and me in an awkward silence.