Chapter 48: Clockwork Heart

Song Quote: Echo
"The clock stopped ticking forever ago
How long have I been up? I don't know I can't get a grip but I can't let go
There wasn't anything to hold onto though Why can't I see? All the colors that you see? Please can I be? Colorful and free"
~~~

Your Pov:
Rolling your chair back away from the desk, you stretched your muscles. Smiling in content after hearing the familiar pop of joints, you looked out the window. It was right outside the office and space you shared with Cyrus, snow was falling outside.

It's been like this for days, yet it never stays. The snowflakes would melt as soon as they make contact with the ground.

You try not to look outside for too long these days... There's a lot of work to be done right? Since the Overlord's defeat, you've been helping Cyrus get everything back in order.

Apparently a nindroid was produced in the factory after the Overlord's defeat. You were tasked with hunting it down, but its completely disappeared off your radar. It completely went off grid, losing the signal around the docks.

Not wanting to neglect your work, you left it alone and instead chose to keep an eye out in case it comes back.

Finally tearing your eyes away from the fleeting snowfall, you let out a deep breath. Burying your head in your hands, you took deep breaths to calm yourself. You took a quick swig of the water bottle on your desk, a desperate attempt to quell the dryness that's formed in your throat.

These weird feelings would come and go in small frequent bursts at the most inconvenient times. Your eyes would get teary out of nowhere. Your throat would get dry and a weird lump would form, making it difficult to speak clearly.

And don't even get me on the emotional wear it's had on you.

Your mood almost seems dampened, days feeling longer and duller. Then unexplainable emotions would wash over you, causing the symptoms above to happen. And it only happens when you think of your reality or the cloud hanging over you and the ninja.

The reminder that someone is missing from this newfound peace: Zane.

It also doesn't help that a void has formed all around you. No one to reach out to for clarification on what's going on with you. Your friends have completely separated and you haven't seen anyone since the funeral.

You were used to being alone, back before you met everyone, before meeting him. You got used to everyone being together and now you are alone again. Now a part of you is craving a small amount of that warmth and security.

Hearing the elevator door open, it snapped you back to reality. It was only then that you realized that the tears fell down your cheeks. Great. Crying at work when there's so much to get done...

You hastily wiped your eyes with the sleeves of your jacket as you heard Cyrus and Pixal's footsteps enter the room.

"Are you alright (Y/n)" Cyrus asked tenderly as he came closer to your desk.

Shaking your head profusely you didn't meet his gaze. "I'm good" you repeated over and over as each time you breathed, your nose sniffled. You hated how your nose sniffled every other second. It was a dead give away that you were crying.

"It's okay..." he reassured and patted you on the back softly.

You couldn't understand why the warm touch didn't help you? It only made your tears fall more and it took all your mental strength to hold back the cry in your throat. You hated this feeling. It was like it was eating you from the inside out.