Chapter 13

"Alastor Moody."  Mad-eye introduced writing his name on the board. "Ex auror, Ministry malcontent." He paused and looked around. You were sat next to Ron, who was observing Mad-eye.  "And your new defense against the dark arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" 

Hermione answered but she looked upset. "There are three sir." 

"And so they are named?" Mad-eye asked.

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will..."

"Earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct" Mad-eye interrupted. "Now the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared, you need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum other than the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!"

"Aw no way, the old codger can see out the back of his head." Seamus grunted.

Mad-eye threw the chalk rubber at Seamus angrily. He really was mad. "So, which one of these curses shall we see first? Weasley!" He yelled in front of your desk. Is he really going to show us the curses? You thought.

"Yes." Ron answered sheepishly. 

"Stand." Ron stood up. "Give us a curse." He ordered Ron.

"Well, my dad did tell me about one... the imperious curse." Ron said.

"Ahhh yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why." Mad eye walked back to the front and opened a jar with a spider in. This is so wrong. You thought. You hated spiders but this, this was totally unfair.  He threw the spider on the front desk where Dean was sat and then onto Crabbe's head  "Don't worry, completely harmless." He placed the spider on different people then on to Ron's head, who is terrified of them. Ron started to whimper. "But if she bites... she's lethal." Mad-eye warned.

"What are you laughing at?" He quizzed and the spider flew onto Malfoy's face. 

"Get it off! Get it off!" He shouted. You burst out in a fit of laughter along with the rest of the class.

"Talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" Made-eye put the spider over a bucket of water as it tried to wriggle it's way free. 

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only do did you-know-whose bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another.. another.. Come on come on. Longbottom is it? Up." He ordered. "Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology." 

"There's the um... cruciatus curse." Neville stammered.

"Correct! Correct! come come. Particularly nasty. The torture curse. Crucio!" Mad-eye said.

The spider started to make squealing noises and Neville was getting upset. His parents died because of that curse! How could somebody be so cruel to let Neville stand up there and to see how bad it is bothering him?

"Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him! Stop it!" You shouted. Mad-eye stopped and picked up the spider. He walked over to your desk. "Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse Miss Y/L/N." You shook your head on the verge of tears. It was awful. 

"Avada Kadavara!" The spider stopped moving. "The killing curse. Only one person is known to have survived it. And he's sitting in this room." He glared at Harry and stumbled over to him, taking a drink from his flask. 

The four of you left the classroom not really saying much. "Hey I just need some fresh air after all of that." You said.

"you want me to come with you? It was a bit much." Hermione asked.

"It's alright, thanks though." You smiled walking the opposite way. 

You made your way out of the school and just sat down on the wall. It was probably just because you were sensitive, but that class made you feel sick to your stomach.

Although you don't remember your brother, as you were only a baby, your parents had told you how a death eater had killed him. How they had murdered him with no remorse. It made you feel angry and upset and he who must not be named was coming back.

"What's up? Crying over a spider Y/L/N?" You turned around to see Malfoy standing behind you with a stupid smirk. 

"No i'm not crying over a spider. I'm not even crying." You said standing up. "Although it looked like you was about to when the spider was on your face." 

"Hardly Y/L/N." Malfoy scoffed shoving his hands in his pockets. "Didn't you find it funny when the spider started to scream in pain?" He asked.

"Why are you asking me that?" You knew that he was just trying to get under your skin.

"And Longbottom's face was a picture." Malfoy continued.

"Stop! How can you think it is some sort of joke Malfoy? You are pathetic, just like your father." You snapped.

"Is everything alright?" Somebody asked and touched your arm softly. You glanced next to you and saw Cedric.

"Dandy." You huffed glaring at Malfoy.

"A Hufflepuff to stand up for you? How Cute." Malfoy smirked and looked at you.

"Watch it." Cedric warned staring Down at Malfoy.

"You wouldn't dare." He laughed. "Wait till my father hears about this. A Hufflepuff trying to stand up to me." With that said he strutted away.

You sat back down on the wall and Cedric sat beside you. "He's a jerk you know, don't listen to anything he says." Cedric said.

"I know. He's never really bothered to make me his target until recently last year. He's just a pain in the backside." You responded watching as Malfoy entered the castle.

"What's wrong?" Cedric questioned.

"What do you mean?"

"Well I saw the look on your face when you came outside but before I got the chance to ask Malfoy already approached you." Cedric said.

You turned to face him. "It's nothing really. I just had Mad-eye for DADA and he showed us the unforgivable curses. He actually performed them."

"On a student?" Cedric joked.

"Not on a student." You smiled nudging him. "On a spider. But still." You sighed.

"He really is Mad." Cedric stated.

"That's what I thought. Anyway are you thinking of entering the tri-wizard tournament?" You asked changing the subject.

"Yeah, I'm going to put my name forward later today." He replied.

"Excited?"

"Nervous." He chuckled looking at you.

"I think George and Fred are trying to find a way to put their names into the goblet." You informed.

"Well I'll be definitely there to see that go terribly wrong one way or another." He laughed.

You liked Cedric. It was a shame that you'd not have spoken to him before as you seemed to get along with him well, not to mention you had a slight crush on him.

_______________________

Thankyou for reading! I hope you enjoyed :)

Remember to vote it's greatly appreciated ♡

~maisie 🧸