4. Father's Words

My first day of school wasn't particularly the best and it wasn't the worst either

My first day of school wasn't particularly the best and it wasn't the worst either. I didn't look forward to tomorrow because all I learned so far was that the Earth was headed towards its impending doom and that I just self-sabotaged myself from having any friends.

I comfortably settled myself on my bed listening to music. This whole town and it's learning system was different from what I used to. It's like the civilization here was dying yet still trying to hold on. Whether Zim was actually an alien or just a sick kid with evil plans...

Why would he ever want to conquer this world?

Dib accusation If the green boy somehow crossed my mind. Though, he would need a lot of evidence if he wanted me to believe it.

I'm making it seem like I was going to continue a friendship with him. Were we even friends to start with or was he just being nice?

I turned over with perplexing thoughts. On one side I wanted to forget about Dib and his theories, but on the other hand, I appreciated his and Gaz's company and the kind food offering. The bitter part of me remembered someone who was like Dib. She used to be sweet and giving but it was a mask to hide the selfish and manipulative side.

Her beautiful smiles always convinced me to do her a favor. The warm hugs reassured me that everything was alright when it wasn't. Her gifts, a bribe to keep quiet.

That's what happens when you decide to let people in. You'll be broken down over and-

"Honey?" My dad knocks at my door before coming in. His tired eyes blinked with a small smile adorning his strong features making him look younger despite his older age.

"Hi Dad," I replied with a small smile of my own. He walked in and took a seat on my bed as I sat up. Now despite going through some tough times, my dad always had a happy demeanor.

"How's school? I would have picked you up but-"

"Work." I interrupted. "Don't worry about it dad, walking home isn't an issue for me. I really don't mind."

Throughout his happy personality, there's always another side to it. He looked to the side before sighing in a defeated manner. I could see the guilt on his face. It didn't matter how many times I reassured my dad that certain things didn't bother me because in the end he still finds a way to feel guilty about it.

"Are you sure? I could have driven to the school. I don't really know the streets around here and who knows how many creepy people are out there. I don't want my precious angel being targeted." He wept.

The man shook his head at the dramatic thoughts he sprouted. "Maybe I should get you those backpack alarms that go off when someone approaches you."

"Dad." I gave him a 'really' look. "I said I was alright. You know that I don't go anywhere else and if I did I would tell you." With that said, I changed the subject. "So how was work?"

"We aren't done talking about the backpack." He said in a stern tone. "Anyway, it was great. I happened to meet the top man and he noticed my quick thinking so he invited me to come over to his house and discuss a few things with him tonight." He stated proudly.

I gaped at him. "You made a friend that fast....and he invited you to his home on the same day?"

"What? You didn't make any friends." He questioned.

I fell back against my pillows in disbelief. "No, because the people at my school suck, except for these two siblings but I don't know. I guess I just didn't want to get too close." My voice lowered in the last part.

My dad chuckled. "Kiddo you just have to open up to people. It can be difficult sometimes, but with the right people, you won't regret it. We've both been closed off for a while and I think we deserve some new companions." He gave me a loving smile and stood up with a grin.

"Now let's both wipe off the sad past and get dressed to start our future. I mentioned you to Mr.Membrane and he said that he has two kids your age so he told me to bring you along to meet them. Now you can have friends too!"

"That's great," I said with no emotion. It took me a few seconds to realize the last name of his colleague and realization hit me like a bus. My dad had already gone out the door wondering what he should wear as I put two and two together.

Dib Membrane...Mr.Membrane...two kids. Dib and Gaz. They're my age. Oh crap.