34. Your Hand In Mine

I've definitely got to write a chapter based on the image XD

~♡~

Clouds greeted the bright sun as they pass by the big ball of yellow. The wind blows against the blooming poppies and roses, accompanied by the buzzing bees that come along to collect their nectar.

It was almost spring, a season filled with warmth and new beginnings to happen. The was no more cold winters or rain drops to occur. People were able to shed their jackets and scarfs for sleeveless tees and perhaps those new shorts they've wanted to wear.

All was well and peaceful. It was a breath of fresh air into a whole other time. As ever, the town wasn't as cheerful as some might feel, but that didn't mean it was completely dead.

(Color) eyes fluttered open to be meet with a blue ceiling also known as the sky. They blinked sideways, turning to the sight of their companion. Dib was reading a book with his eyes glued to every word. In his other hand, he was petting your hair. He multitasked, using his fingers comb through your hair while also entertaining his mind with new facts.

"Do you ever wonder why the sky is blue?" You whispered.

Dib moved the book away from his vision to peer down at you. His eyes softened on your serene expression. He listened to your question and followed your gaze. Seconds later, he went back to his book with a smile playing on his lips.

"Nitrogen." He shortly answered.

"It looks like an ocean. Filled with clouds for boats." You said.

"Mh, what does that make the sun?" He continued to caress your head that laid in his lap.

"Still the sun, until it becomes the moon. Then, the sea changes into a darker ocean with stars becoming fish." Through your explanation, Dib listened. His eyes going half-lidded as he focused on the small features and flaws he's come to adore on your face.

You told Dib things that automatically came from the top of your head whilst staring at the sky. It was a habit of yours when you were relaxed. Your mind would wander to the imaginative state that it was in currently.

This went on for a while and still, Dib listened. He didn't give you the usual dry or bored responses you were used to recieving. He laughed or gave you his own comments at your cute mutterings.

"Ooch!" Someone's teeth gritted not to far from the two of you.

Dib closed his book and sighed. He adjusted his glasses before craning his neck to see a glimpse of green in the minor reflection of his specks. A flicker of annoyance entered him.

"I knew it was too good to enjoy a nice day without being bothered." Dib groaned.

"Quiet! Zim's presence is always a joy to others. That's why I'm here to join my two trusted allies. Yes, that includes you Dib-monkey." Zim sat down beside the male in an elegant manner. He soothed down his tunic to prevent any wrinkles. Once settled, he flashed Dib a wide grin.

Unamused, Dib reopened his book.

"What're you reading?"

Dib's brow twitched as Zim had crossed his personal bubble, including yours. He wasn't aware of the irritated Dib because his masked eyes were busy scanning the pages of the rather thick book.

"Ah, another space book. Typical of the space boy." Zim chuckled.

"It isn't a space book, it's an astronomy book." Dib showed Zim the correct title.

"I see, very interesting." Zim nodded his head in genuine fascination, but to Dib it sounded sarcastic. Due to his robotic voice, Zim was always percieved that way.

"Is (Y/n) asleep?" Zim poked the girl's cheek. He was swatted away by Dib and returned his gloved claw to himself.

"I was." You said, narrowing your now open eyes.

"Oh good because this guy was boring me." Zim pointed to an offended Dib.

"Well you're not a treat either." The ravenette crossed his arms. You sat up from his lap and stretched your arms.

"Please, people practically worship my existence." Zim placed his hands on his puffed out chest with the utmost pride. "That is why Zim earned the affections of (Y/n) and the bond with Dib-monkey." He smirked at you as he slapped a hand on Dib's shoulder.

"That's-" Dib started, Zim perking up at what his fellow male had to say.

"Stupid." You finished.

"Is it? Even though you clearly display romantic behaviors towards Dib, you also show a mutual emotional connection with me which is a factor in what is called a relationship." Zim recited the exact words he found on a web search.

Your face grew pink. It was difficult to come with anything when you knew he was right. In a short span of time, the annoying alien managed to grow on you. There wasn't any butterflies you felt or the urge to kiss him like you experienced with Dib, but you didn't have to feel those things to know that there was something. Throughout your interactions, you weren't weary or cautious of him despite the circumstances of him being an alien and all.

For Zim, he wholeheartedly respect and admired you. His squeedlyspooch always reacted in a funny way with you around. Your intimidating aura was his favorite trait of you, other than your voice.

The alien smirked at your reaction. He was proud to hold a high status in your life and heart. It proved that you were his companion just as much he was yours. With Dib or not, your blushing face was the only proof he needed.

Your heart clenched at the two of them. Inside your mind you were battling with the idea of having to choose who you were truly and solely wanting to be with. And at the same time, you didn't think you had to choose. There wasn't a scenario you could imagine where there was only one of them.

You sat up from Dib's lap with those complex thoughts still roaming in your head. One memory after another played, starting from your first glance at Dib. His dorkish smile was enough to get your heart beat accelerating.

"Dib."

His breath hitched at your sweet smile. That rare smile he loved. Your hand intertwined with his fitting together perfectly like a puzzle.

"Zim."

Your other hand grasped a black covered claw. He was confused at this gesture, but reciprocated. The touch between you two was secure and gave you both a sense of reassurance.

Two different feelings with one result: you weren't alone anymore.

~♡~

Epilogue? Yes. 
Ending? No. 

I have a few more chapters left :( 
so I feel like this whole chapter was to let you decide MC's feelings. yes, she technically is with Dib already but it's up to you if Zim is with her too. I didn't want to force a relationship because who knows if MC views Zim romantically or platonically, you choose. What we do know is that she has grown into accepting people in her life :) 

I'll be doing a Q + A chapter in the next update, don't hesitate to blow up my notifications XD