8. A New Light

Dib's eyes glistened. He wasn't sure why he had just grabbed your hand so suddenly. It was like an instinct that come over him. Seeing you turn to walk away alone struck a chord in him. Especially looking so defeated. He's remembered the times where he was alone and defeated because of his past failures. He couldn't let someone else go through it.

"Why do care?" You glared at him. "We've only known each other for a couple of weeks and yeah I ate dinner at your house doesn't mean we're friends. I don't even talk to you that much."

Your words were your shields. They helped ensure that whoever tried to come near you would leave. However, it didn't work this time.

"I-I..." Dib tried searching for words. They got tangled up in a mess causing him to clear his throat so that he could manage himself. "I don't know, I just do. Yeah we don't talk but-but I want too!"

His persistency made your stomach stir. This was the type of thing you tried to avoid many times. It always worked because eventually people just stop trying and usually stop bothering you. Another part of you yearned to confide in someone other than a lousy journal or you former imaginative friends, even your dad. But you just couldn't.

The constant fear of abandonment and betrayal clouded your mind. It was a like a snake just waiting to take a bite out of its prey. And only sometimes you can feel those doubts faltering from such hope that you try to have. It was a constant battle from hope to doubt.

"I see the way you hesitate, (Y/n)." Dib said softly. He released your hand, much to your relief but it diminished when he took a step closer to you. "It's like you're always battling yourself."

He was right.

"You shouldn't have too. You're not alone." He let out a chuckle. "I mean, look at me! Everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I don't let it bother me because if I do then I'll be letting them have control over me."

"I may not know what you're going through, but I can understand the pain of having to do it alone and it sucks." Dib admitted.

He knew very well. Having people trick you just to get a kick out of it frustrated him. There were times when he thought he had friends, but in the end they all left or simply taunted him. Other than his sister and Dib, nobody acknowledged him as a peer. They acknowledged him as "that crazy delusional kid".

"So please come with me. At least until you warm up." He tried to convince you again and hopefully for the last time.

Mixed emotions brewed in your stomach. Your mind opted to decline harshly and walk away but his similar experience to yours kept you away from doing that. Basically you would be turning away something you have been secretly longing for.

A connection. Someone who understood what you were going through. Now you were just realizing something. Where was his mom? She wasn't mentioned once nor were there pictures of another parent from what you seen from going to their house.

So could Dib actually provide this bond you have avoided? He hadn't done much that made you think he was dishonest. If anything it was the opposite.

"Fine." You nodded. "I'll go with you." Relief and content filled you. It was like the chains that wrapped around your positive mindset were gone. You found yourself looking forward to going to Dib's home but you still hid your smile not wanting to let him see.

"Great, let's go."

~♡~