43. Closure You Needed

Gretchen sipped her juice pouch with a conflicted look towards her lap. She thought of the words you were telling her now. The memories of a certain alien weren't pleasant even when they first met. It wasn't out of jealousy or bitterness that made Gretchen still loathe her, but it was because of how selfish the whole thing was. It reminded her of her past self.

"I'm not sure how I feel about her presence. I can only say that seeing her makes me want to crumble away and forget she's even here at all." You hugged your arms around yourself. 

"Try not to think about her then." Gretchen patted your shoulder, giving you a soft smile. "She's at Zim's house and like you said, she already looks as if she's dead." 

You looked down at the ground, taking a sip from your own drinking pouch. Not thinking about Tak was easier said than done. You haven't stopped thinking about her and even though you had other thoughts that allowed the ones of her to go away, she always made her way back in. The way your mind saw her was different than the actual Tak. She was a horrible and pitiful creature that almost took your loved ones away. But yet, the current Tak looked so broken and in some way that relieved you. 

Why am I thinking about her again? You squeezed your empty juice pouch, throwing it in the trash can behind you. 

"I think you might be needing closure." Gretchen fiddled with her thumbs. 

"Huh?" You turned your head to her. 

She scratched her cheek, thinking about the advice she was giving you. Gretchen didn't really know what to recite other than the simple lessons she's learned herself. She hasn't interacted with Tak as much as you did so she couldn't offer any wise words like she's seen Gaz give you when you all hung out before. 

"Well, when I finally confessed my feelings to Dib I had this huge weight lifted off my shoulders. Of course, my feelings weren't returned but telling him after hiding them for so long was the greatest thing. I was able to move on." She smiled.  

The purple haired girl sighed and tucked a hair behind her ear, "I'm not saying I don't love Keef, but there's always a part of me that cares deeply for Dib." She looked up at you, "I'm happy though, really. For you and for him, I'm not trying to imply that I'm still chasing over him or anything."

"But you'll always love him." You said. 

Gretchen blushed at the blunt question. She faced your awaiting expression, "In a way, yes. But like I said, I'm happy for the both of you." 

"I'm okay with that." You smirked. 

Gretchen grew uneasy with the smug smirk appearing on your face. She preferred the rare smile and the usual lazy look. This face you wore now kind of scared her as she was reminded of the fish you killed to save Keef. If this were an anime, she was sure you'd have devil horns over your head.

"Why, if I may ask." She responded, holding back a nervous laugh. 

"Because I know that no matter who else loves Dib won't love him anymore than I do. Doesn't matter how long you've known him, the bond between us is more special. I'm the only girl he'll ever be with. Others can try, but I'll always win." Your voice went firm. 

"Do you think Tak is one of those girls?" She sweatdropped. 

"She didn't love him, she loved using him." You glared. "Speaking of her, I think I should go see the alien. Thanks for the advice." You punched her shoulder with a grin. "We should hang out more." 

"Sure, I'd love to." She waved. 

You waved back, turning around from her to go your own way. Though as soon as you were out of sight, Gretchen clutched her shoulder in pain and thought about how lucky she was to have moved on.