.CHAPTER ONE.

blissful silence
~[|]~

It had been a somewhat quiet evening for Gerard, and he was more tired than anything. Wiping down tables wasn't such a difficult task, of course, but with the constant nagging from his beyond patronising and just general asshole-being boss, it was a lot harder.

Mr Bryar definitely had a stick up his ass, and it wasn't the pleasurable kind. If he wasn't talking down to Gerard and his coworkers for their inability to work, he was criticising their in inability to dress. He had the tendency to make everyone dress in pinks and whites to fit the diner's theme, and if that didn't make him an asshole- what did?

He was a large guy, with piercings and a tattoo. In all honesty, he looked like the kind of guy to follow you home and beat the shit out of you- not the kind of guy to own a diner with staff that attend tables in roller-skates and sing Queen religiously.

Gerard grunted in distaste when he noticed someone had stuck gum under one of the tables. He sometimes wondered if God enjoyed his misery as much as Mr Bryar did, and yes, even though Gerard worked in a family diner, it was workplace policy to call everyone Mr and Ms, even if they were younger.

That really sucked, because Gerard pretty much hated almost seventy percent of his coworkers, so calling them such formal names instead of luxuries like dumbass and cunt really had an affect on his mood. Not to mention everyone had to call him Mr Way, which, through no fault of his own, became the diner's number one pun source. It wasn't even that clever- Hell it was barley a pun, but of course that didn't matter because Gerard was a pacifist and sometimes it really came back to bite him in the ass, and not in the pleasurable way either.

Gerard carefully manifested a makeshift spoon out of napkins and a small stirring stick, using it to poke at the gum until it fell onto the small pile of napkins he had put on the ground for it to fall on. To say Gerard was a shit waiter, and frankly a bit stupid, would have been an understatement, and it wasn't as if he didn't know. He was very aware of the fact that he had the maturity and brain waves of a seven year old, he didn't need to be told.

"What the bloody fuck are you doing?" A voice asked behind Gerard, and he has to resist the urge to roll his eyes at them.

"Getting gum off the table." He said with a small grunt, feeling triumph when the gum fell according to plan.

"That's definitely not the way to do that, Mr Way." Ray said, bemused by Gerard's idiocy.

"Shouldn't you be cleaning the shitter, Toro?" Gerard asked, turning himself in his couching position to face his coworker. He wasn't in the mood to be polite at this point in time, he just wanted to get his day over with already.

"Sir said I can go home, my shift is over in like seventy seconds."

"Lucky bastard." Gerard muttered, turning back to pick up his array of paper towels and napkins off the ground.

"Yeah," Ray laughed, his eyes crinkling as he smiled, "have fun with your gum."

"I'll try." Gerard mocked with a fake cheery voice. He was almost never in a good mood towards the end of his shift, but unlike Toro, he still had an hour left.

It was only around six o'clock when Gerard started re-wiping down the counter with a used cloth. He was the only one left apart from Bryar and Pete, who was busy cleaning dishes in the kitchen to speak to anyone.