.CHAPTER THIRTY SIX.

suspended without pay
~[|]~

"Gerard, I think you need to go home." Pete said softly to Gerard as Gerard poured orange juice into a large glass.

Gerard didn't look up, "Why's that?"

"Well, for one I think you're scaring the costumers with your face situation," Pete said quietly, "and two, you're overflowing the cup of orange juice and it's spilling everywhere."

Gerard snapped out of his trance and realised that Pete was right, he had been spilling everything.

He groaned before getting a few paper towels.

As he wiped the counter, he couldn't help but let his mind wander again, which is actually all it seemed to do. He couldn't concentrate at work, which resulted in spills like these, and he certainly couldn't concentrate at home when he was doing things like balancing his check book.

Sure he partially blamed Frank, but Frank wasn't the one that spilled the orange juice. Frank wasn't the one who bruised his face so badly that little kids genuinely got scared, and Frank definitely wasn't the one who made him drop that milkshake all over himself just a few hours ago.

"I'm fine, Pete." Gerard mumbled, picking up the glass of orange juice and leaving the kitchen to serve it to the women who ordered it.

All he heard was a sigh in response, and honestly Gerard didn't really care about what Pete was saying. Brendon had told him the same thing two hours ago, and an hour before that Ray had said something.

They were all concerned, and honestly they could all suck his dick because he was fine for god's sake. He just needed a little breather every now and then.

As Gerard skated back to the kitchen, he nearly jumped out of his skin when he heard Mr Bryar call his name.

"Way, I need to speak to you." He said in that same gruff voice he always used when he was addressing literally anyone.

Gerard nodded in a noncommittal manner and skated over to him, and once they were both standing behind the counter he spoke up again.

"It's been brought to my attention that you've not only spilled a milkshake, but dropped an entire plate of eggs and bacon on the ground." Bryar said slowly, and he seemed extremely relaxed on the outside but Gerard knew better than to assume he genuinely was.

"I uh, I suppose that's... true." Gerard said quietly, and he saw Bryar immediately take in a short intake of breath.

"Alright, and before I ask, I want to say that it's in no way acceptable in this establishment, but what happened to your face?" He asked, looking irritated as he leaned against the coffee machine.

Gerard looked down, "I had a small situation outside of work, sir."

"Small?" Bryar laugher dryly, "It looks like you got hit with a beer bottle."

Gerard grit his teeth, forcing a laugh, "Yeah, I'm just that clumsy."

"You sure are." Gerard flexed his jaw to keep him from saying something he would definitely regret in the long run.