.CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT.

NOT EDITED DON'T KILL ME + IM UPDATING THIS EARLIER THAN I THOUGHT BECAUSE I FELT BAD FOR EVERYONE FREAKING OUT IN THE COMMENTS
-----------------------------------

young & dumb... & a lil doomed
~[|]~

Gerard wasn't always the best at reading social situations.

Especially as he got older, because the older he got the more he realised he couldn't read people for shit.

But Gerard liked to think that when he had started dating Frank his skills of understanding what someone was thinking had improved. But apparently the falseness of his statement was a huge slap to his face, as Frank sat, kneeled in front of him, holding the small black box.

"Frankie?" Gerard croaked out, his mind short-circuiting as he stared at not just the box but at Frank.

And honestly, as much of an idiot as Gerard really was, half of him knew what was happening. Well, the romance-novel-loving side of him knew what was happening. Twenty bucks says there was a fucking ring in that box— and Gerard was almost sure of it.

He felt like vomiting out his nerves as he watched Frank shush him and open it slowly to reveal... Gerard squinted at it.

It was a piece of paper.

A fucking piece of paper.

Gerard swallowed down the disappointment he didn't know was even there, his heart sinking down the more he stared at the folded piece of paper since the box.

"Well, don't just stare at it— open it." Frank smiled with a nervous laugh, making Gerard nod, forcing his smile back as he took the small paper.

He slowly unfolded it, feeling his heart completely freeze as he read it.

It was a fucking receipt.

A receipt to some grocery store a few miles from their apartment, Gerard reading off the contents in confusion. He honestly couldn't help the way his throat tightened a bit as he found that it was just a normal receipt.

No engagement ring, no special Christmas gift. Just a normal receipt.

Gerard didn't say anything, suppressing a sigh of disappointment as he looked up at Frank, who was smiling.

"It's a receipt." Frank said excitedly, making Gerard feel almost more upset.

"I," He mumbled looking down, "I figured."

"Yeah, I bought all of the stuff to make your favourite food for dinner." Frank smiled proudly, and that was when Gerard really lost the last bit of his hope.

Was that really it?

Gerard had built up such a high standard subconsciously of what he thought could be in that velvet box, and yet all he received was a homemade dinner? He supposed it was sweet, but Gerard honestly felt more than just hurt.

He had put so much thought into his gift for Frank, from the lingerie to the whiskey to even going out of his way to decorate the apartment, and yet here he was holding a grocery receipt?