Chapter 22- Her New Promise

I bit my lower lip nervously while looking around Seijuro's house. This is not the first time I've gone here so why am I this nervous?

I looked up at Seijuro only to see him looking down at me with an amused expression. My brows pull together.

"What?" I asked irritably.

"What what?" he asks.

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Looking at you like what?" he asks, smirking. I rolled my eyes at him.

"I see my son is already here."

And instantly, I was frozen on my spot. Oh gosh. His voice was so calm. Yet it intimidates me. I squeezed my eyes shut when I felt a presence few feet behind me.

Seijuro held my wrist making me open my eyes to look at him. He smiled at me and then everything was alright. I smiled back before facing his father.

"Good evening, sir," I greeted.

"Oh, good evening. You must be.. My friend's heir. Momoi Misaki, am I right?" he asks, smiling kindly at me.

I bit my lip and nodded. "That should be me," I replied.

"Hmmm. You look exactly like your mother," he commented.

A smile made its way to my face. "So I've been told."

"Dad, can we go up first? I need to change," Seijuro says out of the blue.

"Then why am I coming?" I whispered. He tightened his grip on my hand so I just shut my mouth up.

"Sure. Be back here in a minute."

Seijuro nodded before pulling me with him upstairs to his room.

The moment he shut the door, he turned to me and sighed. "Do you really want to do this or you just think you have to?" he asked.

"What? Seijuro, no. Of course not."

"Just want to make sure that I'm right," he says before smiling at me.

"Well, I'm going downstairs. I'll wait for you there."

He nodded so I went out of his room. I made my way to the living room and walked around, observing the place, still fascinated. As if on cue, Seijuro's father came and smiled at me.

"Ah, Misaki. Where's my son?"

"He's upstairs, Mr. Ak---"

"Call me dad. You're like a daughter to me." I smiled and blushed at the thought. Maybe dad has a split personality too? I mean.. Seijuro has one.

"Why don't you take a sit for a while?" I bit my lip as I sat infront of him. I played with my fingers as I look anywhere but his eyes.

"Seijuro.. He's a fine young man." he started. I frowned. Why is he telling me this? "He can be a little intimidating sometimes but he has this kind heart in him."

I look at him and smiled. "I know," I murmured.

"He likes to keep things to himself, Misaki. He wants to prove everyone that he doesn't need anyone but when you two meet, it all changed."

"I.. Don't know what you mean, sir," I asked, confused.

"You're the only person he needs to survive everything."

"Why are you telling me these things?"

"I just wanted to make sure."

His answer made me even more confused. "Make sure of what, dad?"

Calling him dad is a little uncomfortable for me. He smiled. "That you won't leave him again."

That made me look away. I felt this familiar pain on my chest. Right. I left him. But I came back, right?

"You won't leave my son again, are you?" he asks.

Am I? I'm not sure. It depends. But as long as everything goes smoothly as I expected then.. "No, I'm not going to leave him again."

"Can you keep this promise?" he asks nicely. Dad.. This isn't what I expected. I expected him to be scary. But.. But that's not what I'm seeing now.

"What promise?" we look up and saw Seijuro walking down the stairs looking amazing as always.

I smiled reassuringly at him. "It's nothing."

"I believe we should eat dinner now." Dad told us. We walked towards the dining room and started eating.

The dinner went fine. Dad asked us about studies and our interests. While Seijuro asked him about business.

All in all, the dinner went fine.

Then suddenly, a maid approached us and said "Mr. Akashi, a call for you, sir."

I assume he's talking to Dad. Dad stood up and excused himself before walking away. When Seijuro and I was alone, he looked at me.

"What's the promise my dad was talking about a while ago?" he asked making me sigh.

"Seijuro, I already told you. It's no---"

"It isn't nothing. Come on, what is it?" his voice was authoritative.

"He made me promise not to leave you again," I replied after I let out a sigh.

"And?" he asked with a teasing smile. I picked up the tissue and threw it at him.

"Stop that."

"Stop what?" he asked innocently. I never thought that the Akashi Seijuro can be this playful.

"You know what it is! Stop smiling like that!"

He just laughed lightly before his face turned into a serious one. "You won't leave me again, right?"

I was about to say yes but I can't. It's like my tongue got twisted making me unable to speak. Am I ready to make a promise this big? But.. I sighed inwardly. He was looking at me, waiting for my answer. And I know, he's expecting for a yes. But I can't speak.

Hesitantly, I nodded. He smiled before continuing to eat his food.

"Seijuro, why don't you get the dessert for a while?" dad came in and smiled.

"Why me? There's---"

"Go," his dad says. Seijuro sighed before standing up and walking away.

"Misaki, you still haven't answered my question earlier." his dad told me, sitting at his seat a while ago.

Oh. The promise.

"Dad, I know what you were trying to tell me and.. And as much as possible.. I.. P-promise to not leave his side."

He smiled before continuing to eat.

I placed a hand on my chest and I felt it. The fast beating of my heart.

I made a promise.

Again.

Can I fulfill this promise?

Or..

I'm just going to break it like how I did before?