Chapter 4

My gasp of horror echoed in the room and I did not hesitate to stagger backwards, absently noticing the pain which shot up my ankle as a result of placing pressure on it whilst I pivoted.

Furniture dragged against the wooden floor behind me and the volumes of voices increased, almost at an alarming pace that prompted me to move faster. I sought out the only room with the opened door.

"Miss!"

I recognized the voice from the woods, the young male who had used colorful language and a ripple of unease crept up my skin as I continued on my way, only pausing to swiftly close the door behind me. Fingers shook as I found a lock and twisted it, somewhat satisfied that the lycan could not reach me now.

Or rather, I hoped that it could not reach me now.

I hobbled around, eyes sweeping over the mostly darkened room. My shoulder brushed against a wall as my attention immediately focused to the small, opened window a few feet, away, high against the wall.

Snow drifted inside and I swallowed thickly, body shaking from the cold and teeth grinding together in frustration as I sought out a way to escape.

After roaming around in the dark, small room, I managed to seize what felt like a bucket and I carefully turned it upside down, settled it on the cold floor.

My foot raised and pressed against it, but my entire being stiffened at the unfamiliar gruff voice which reverberated from beyond the door, the heavy sounds of footsteps.

"I apologize, Alpha. We thought she was sleeping-" The lycan from the woods words were cut off abruptly at the sound of rapping against the door. I flinched at the harsh sound and pressed myself further against the bucket, balancing my legs on it. My ankle protested but with a clenched jaw, I ignored it.

My fingers grasped the edges of the window sill and with a small grunt, I began to pull my body upwards, adrenaline shooting forward when the fists hit the door again.

"Olivia."

I paused, breath hitching as that deep voice sounded again. The wind blew into my face as I stared with wide eyed through the window, lips parting in disbelief. My fingers began to ache from how tightly I held the window sill and eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

How does he know my name?

"Open the door, Olivia. No harm shall come to you."

My lips set firmly and eyes narrowed to the grey sky.

Lies.

A lycan had uttered that same promise many years ago and I had foolishly trusted her, which led me being tossed into the Klawmoon Pack's prison. I'd made a vow throughout the years I'd spent in that prison, one which I would hold on to.

The wooden door shook from heavy weight pummeling into it and I hoisted myself further up, crawling through the window, arms trembling and breaths heavy.

I swung my legs out just before I heard the unmistakable noise of the door crashing to the floor and for several seconds, relief settled my frantic thoughts, only to disperse when I realized that I now was on a roof partially covered with snow.

*****

Footsteps came from the room which I had once been in and I hastily crawled against the roof on my hands and knees, creating distance between the opened window and myself.

My barefeet trembled from the frightening cold and small curses fell from my lips as I realized my mistake.

I would not survive very long in this weather, for although I adorned clothes, they did little to shield me from this onslaught of snow and wind.