Chapter 15

My cheeks became damp with wet dirt, the fingers on the back of my neck and head tight as my screams intensified, became muffled. I inhaled dirt and blood as my face was pressed forcefully against the wall of my cell, my broken nose throbbing and my lips split open from the backhanded blow from Kanes.

My teeth grinded against each other, another scream climbing up my throat as I was pushed harder onto the dark wall. I could feel hot tears seeping past my closed eyes, and the rope binding my hands behind my back dug into my skin painfully.

"That's it," Kanes cooed, hot air hitting the shell of my ear. "Let it out. Scream little Olivia."

And I did, bellowing as claws barely pierced the back of my skull, my body beginning to tremble and wrack as sobs escaped me. I attempted to move backwards, tried to escape from Kanes, but he refused to relent until I did.

Minutes passed as I roared my rage, my fear, my helplessness into that grimy wall, and when I finally stopped, Kanes jerked my drained body backwards, allowing me to crumble to the floor.

"I don't want to hear you talking with Clyde for the rest of the night, Olivia." Kanes snarled down to me, a heavy boot lifting and pressing into my ankle when I said nothing, too dazed to speak.

My eyes rolled upwards, mouth parting as I garbled out a plea for him to stop, agonizing pain worming up my body. And he eventually did, but crouched afterwards, using a dagger to slice through the ropes binding my wrists.

Blood from my nose dripped down to my mouth, smeared my lips and teeth as I panted and gagged at the iron taste, whimpering at the feeling of constriction in my chest.

Kanes left the cell, and only paused once to lock the door behind him before striding down the hall. My eyes almost immediately sought out Clyde, who sat cross-legged on the floor of his own cell opposite mine, and despite his recently battered face, he was trying to smile, to offer some sort of comfort through his own pain.

He made a gesture with his shaking hands, inhaling as he raised them slowly, lowering them as he slowly exhaled.

I followed him, inhaling and exhaling, doing so until I became calm and my heartbeat no longer pulsed erratically in my chest.

Clyde's hands finally remained lowered and I wiped at my cheeks, nodding my head as he whispered soft gentle, words,

"Be brave little Liv. Be brave."

************

"Have you ever killed someone?"
My question surprised Eric, and he looked down at me briefly, arching a brown, slashed eyebrow before looking ahead once more, towards a few unfamiliar and familiar faces.

Our fast paces matched, and both of our hands were tucked into pockets as we walked.

"Yes." Eric finally responded, small creases forming between his brows as he thought deeply. "Yes, I have killed before." His voice became cold, and I knew then not to pry anymore.

"And you have as well." Eric crisply spoke. My eyes diverted from his face and my pace strengthened as silence descended between us. Ryker must have told him about what I'd done to Anabelle.

My lips lifted in a half-smile when I heard Eric release a heavy breath in displeasure as he forced himself to keep up with me.

"Perhaps you should do some exercises with me at training, commander," My low voice was teasing, and I grinned slyly at his glare.

But my grin drifted away when we came to a halt outside of the large glass building. I could see a few men and women behind the double doors, some holding briefcases, others gripping heavy looking documents.