Chapter 41

Athena's POV

Hannes' wrath was rapidly growing with each reluctant step that was taken by Bronwyn. More than once she paused, hesitance crossing her features, but she'd then carry on walking eventually, the staff she held assisting her with her pace.

"What a surprise." Bronwyn's voice was cold, and she sounded almost irritated as she finally stopped before my quietly seething son, who had yet to look away from the woman who he'd once considered a dear friend.

Who I had once considered a dear friend.

The warriors by Hannes' side circled both the Alpha and Bronwyn when given the silent command to do so and Bronwyn's eyes followed their quick actions.

Fear flashed in her eyes, and when she looked once more at Hannes, the displeasure that had captured her expression slithered away, and became one of carefully controlled neutrality.

She sighed, and her eyes skipped upwards, towards the morning sky when Hannes spoke,

"Skylar told me what you asked of her."

My fingers tightened around the handle of my tea-cup at Bronwyn's lack of reaction at Hannes' words.

She'd more than likely realized, upon seeing him and the warriors, that her actions had been discovered.

Bronwyn's gaze lowered to the snow and then her eyes locked with Hannes' now dark ones.

"Why would you want Anabelle to live once more?" Hannes' voice was quiet, so much so that I had to step away from the house, tea cup in hand, to hear him clearly. The warriors exchanged confused looks at Hannes' inquiry, but at my sharp gaze they halted.

I then looked over Hannes as he lowly demanded answers, all which Bronwyn refused to give.

The quietude of his voice as he questioned her was not to be taken as a lack of anger from him, and I sensed that Bronwyn did not understand this. Instead, she silently looked at him after each question, with a look of almost boredom beginning to plaster her face.

So when Hannes grasped her by the neck abruptly, lifting her off of the ground, her startled scream did not surprise me.

The tightening of his fingers around her neck strengthened as he held her, fangs on display as he snarled before turning, walking away and dragging the elderly woman roughly along with him.

Bronywn's choked and sputtered protests cracked through the morning air, and with one last glance towards the house, where I could see a sullen-faced Olivia by the window upstairs, I followed Hannes and the struggling woman in his grip.

Elijah was in one of the small buildings that we entered, and the warriors who'd followed us were gruffly told by Hannes told to stay by the door of the building.

Elijah noisily ate a mint as he watched Hannes shove the woman into a room, and slide the door closed once everyone was inside.

The room was empty, and a single, barred, small window allowed some wind to flow through. I stood by it, eyeing Hannes as he released Bronwyn without looking towards her.

The staff which she once held was now gone, and she struggled to stand properly without it.

The tension in the room thickened as Hannes' fury soared and Bronwyn pressed herself up against the wall of the room, as it was the only way she could stand without falling.

"You tried to kill my woman," Hannes finally spoke, but he wasn't facing her. "You made a cake that was created with a toxic potion and tried to kill her, did you not?"