Chapter 40

Wind chimes hung by the window and I listened distractedly to the soft ringing from them each time wind drifted through.

I frowned deeply as I identified Hannes' bloodlust. His eyes were not looking towards me, but I knew that they were more than likely dark, as they usually would be whenever he was infuriated.

The weight of his hand lifted from my head, and I was silent as he sat further up on the bed, until his back pressed against the black headboard. His body was rigid as he watched me settle further under the sheets of the bed, and his hand returned once again to rest against my hair, almost in an unconscious manner. My eyes closed shut.

The chimings abruptly stopped, and my eyes flew open at the sound of fast, hurried footsteps coming our way. Hannes straightened further, waiting, and a bemused look crossed his face when he saw who opened it,
"I forgot my purse."

Skylar walked across the bedroom, eyes skirting around her and a hand drifted over a desk before she finally snatched up a small, circular black purse.

Hannes was silent as she shoved it into her bag, and just as I thought she was going to leave, since she'd turned and began walking to the door, she abruptly whipped around, finger pointed towards the Alpha.

"You need to keep a closer eye on one of your lycans, Hannes." Her voice was quiet, and there was no malice in her words. Hannes stood from the bed slowly, and, like he did with most other persons, towered over the half-witch.

Skylar's face was completely composed as she continued to look up at Hannes and his expression was unreadable, but his face was tense. She went on,

"And I say this because one of your pack members visited my home, and asked that I create a potion that would allow for a dead individual to live once more." Skylar pulled her bag further up her shoulder. "I can not yet make those types of potions, but I have had some advancements regarding creating them. However, I gave the person a particular, fairly useless potion, one which obviously wouldn't work for what they wanted. I could sense that they had very ill intentions."

"Do you plan on saying who this person is?" Hannes' voice was a snarl, and I pressed closer into the bed, chest twinging as I fought sleeping, eager to hear Skylar's words.

"An Elder of your pack." Skylar's grey eyes drifted to the window and she tilted her head towards it. Slowly, I sat up on the bed, to look through the window properly, and Hannes marched to the opened window as well.

Bronwyn.

She stood outside, staff in hand whilst she spoke to Lilith, who appeared to have been passing by the house. I watched as Hannes' fingers curled around the windowsill, his large body shifting so that I could no longer see outside.

When I looked to where Skylar once stood, she was no longer there.

"I will be speaking with Stewart tonight." Hannes told me when he finally faced me, not seeming at all surprised to notice Skylar's absence.

My eyes fluttered and I nodded, too tired to say anything else. Hannes' anger ridden face was the last thing I saw before I slept.

And when I awoke once more, it was because of his voice and several others. Some time had, obviously, passed since I'd last seen him, and darkness had crept into the room.

The once opened window was now shut, and a small candle situated on the bedside table did little to brighten the mostly dark room.

I stood carefully, almost regretting it when I felt bile rise in my throat. Seconds moved by as the room seemed to sway and I swallowed loudly as I waited for my stomach and head to settle.