Chapter 43

"You being more observant is a must." Hannes' fingers continued to drift across my waist, and he paused from doing so only to lift them to touch my lips momentarily when I'd begun to frown in concentration as I listened to him.

From the angle in which I sat, I knew it might have been difficult for him to see me properly, but he somehow knew that I had been frowning nonetheless. My head continued to rest against his chest, and his voice was a deep rumble as he continued speaking, "And you should choose who to trust carefully."

I straightened when he shifted, and watched as he silently contemplated whilst searching my face. It then appeared as if he was waiting for me to speak, but I had little to say. I did not disagree with his words and I gestured with an exaggerated wave of my hands that he continue talking.

The stress on his face seemed to disappear at my gesture, and a small grin graced his lips as he went on, "I have also instructed more warriors, who I deeply trust, to travel with you when you go on any walks. They too shall accompany you if you are to go shopping, or I shall travel with you if I can."

My eyes averted from his own and went towards the closed door at the sound of loud footsteps; Jeremiah's footsteps. He was more than likely pacing back and forth outside, something that I'd noticed him doing throughout the morning, and the noises were beginning to distract me.

The irrational and unrealistic thoughts of Bronwyn somehow coming back to life and heading towards my bedroom would come to my mind whenever I heard Jeremiah's footsteps, and I quickly dragged in a deep breath as I focused on the lycan before me.

"It would feel a bit odd, I suppose, with so many warriors following me," I admitted to Hannes, who'd captured my waist and brought me back closer to him, but not too close that I could rest my head against his chest once more. That irritated me. "Don't you think Jeremiah and Willow should be able to protect me well enough?"

"I'm sure they are capable of doing so." Hannes said after a moment of silence. "But I still believe that it is best that more warriors accompany you."

"How many more warriors?"

"Three."

"Oh." I pushed my body backwards, until I came to rest on my back against the bed. Hannes stood, and watched me as I asked, "What are their names?"

"Henri Williams and Frederick and Elle Ammes."

I recognized the name of the woman, Elle. She'd travelled with Athena and myself to the store, along with several other warriors, and seemed to have a pleasant personality.

"Frederick and Elle are siblings?"

Hannes dipped his head in a nod. "Yes. They are." His gaze travelled over me and went across the bedroom casually. "I have some paperwork that I need to get to. And I also have the book that I'd seen you reading in the living room. The paperwork and the book is in my room."

I tilted my head. "Okay."

Hannes glanced across my bedroom again and then commented, "It's awfully dark inside here."

I shook my head, disagreeing with him as I too looked around the room whilst sitting up on the bed. The curtains were pulled back, thanks to Willow, and the afternoon light streamed through the windows.