Chapter 56

"Are you certain that you don't want this?" I offered Willow a bowl of stew for the second time. She curled her upper lip and eyed the bowl I held up towards her.

Willow's arms were folded behind her back, and she stood near the walls of the home, with Henri now by her side.

Jeremiah was casually walking around the room with Frederick trailing along behind him, and Elle was sitting stiffly in a rocking chair, back straight and eyes piercing as she looked over each individual seated for what seemed like the seventh time since she arrived at the home, which had been ten minutes ago.

"No thank you. I generally tend to prefer my food being a bit more...raw." Willow flashed a strained smile as she said this, showing her fangs.

"You ate Athena's casserole, though." I pointed out.

"I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings by refusing."

"Do you not care about hurting my feelings when you refuse the generous bowl of stew I took out for you?"

Willow's eyes narrowed whilst I smiled innocently at her, and I heard Sophie snicker loudly beside me.

"I'll take it." A female lycan, whose name I understood to be Lynn, held out her hands for the bowl. After sending one last look to Willow, which she scowled at, I gave it over.

As time passed, and as conversations occasionally dwindled and picked up, the more I was pulled into discussions.

I gave my input when needed, and was intrigued by the way the pack members seemed to value each word that came from my mouth, and their attention. I too started friendly conversations as well, and as time passed, my nerves lessened.

"Do you want to help me light some candles, Olivia? It's getting very dark and the electricity isn't working the best." Sophie asked when there was a pause in conversation. I looked away from the fruit stick I had been eyeing whilst speaking to Birch, and straightened.

"Erm, sure." I muttered, deciding to scoop up the snack before standing, nibbling on the fruits before chucking away the stick that remained after into a bin.

Willow shifted from where she stood, and I heard her soft footsteps as she began following Sophia and myself.

A drawer opened and closed, and I took the box of matches Sophie gave to me. I immediately noticed the brand; they were very cheap, and a particular, kind neighbor had at times given a few to my mother.

I shook the match box lightly, hearing the contents shake and tapped my fingernails along the orange strip on the box whilst Sophie pulled out some candles.

"You are always welcomed to come by my home, Olivia." Sophie murmured, clutching the candles to her chest and circling the room. I'd pause every now and then, lighting some of the candles she placed down before resuming in following her.

My eyes followed her movements for a few seconds after she spoke, and as if sensing my stare, she glanced over her shoulder towards me.

Her smile was wide. "Don't look so surprised, luna. I've enjoyed your company tonight. Perhaps you'd like to come over later this week for breakfast?"

The creaking noises of wood behind me signaled that Willow was close by. When I looked towards her, I searched her face and realized that her expression gave away little of what she thought.

I knew she'd more than likely be pulling some sort of face, or a warning would be shining in her eyes if she disapproved of Sophie's invitation, not that it was for hers to answer to anyway.

However, I knew that Willow had a better understanding of Sophie's character than I did, especially since it seemed as if they'd interacted before, so I would consider her judgement before making a decision. At the moment however, her expression was calm.