Chapter 54

The atmosphere in the woods became almost ominous the further we walked. The voices of the hunters dropped significantly, and a quick look around showed that they were all staring ahead, not particularly at anything, with intense expressions of concentration, which only grew when we came to a halt.

The stock-still bodies of the lycans didn't sway in the strength of the wind like mine almost did, and I could see some of the hunters' fingers twitching, as if resisting an urge.

By then, unease had unfurled in my chest. I glanced at Athena, and immediately she placed a finger against her lips, the color of her eyes which usually mirrored her son's glazed over, an almost wet look in them. Alarmed, I looked at Hannes, however, he was the picture of calmness.

His arms were folded across his wide chest, warm eyes almost languidly looking around us before settling on me. Immediately, he straightened from where he'd been propped against the tree, becoming concerned at my expression, but the abrupt noises of two of the hunters dashing away into the woods startled me and I whipped around to follow them with my eyes.

Said eyes widened in shock and disbelief as I saw a female and male hunter weave between trees, moving towards something that I could not see. I began to walk forward, wanting to get a better view.

Jeremiah came to my side almost immediately, his hand resting on my shoulder just as I saw the male hunter leap forward, claws extended, and hurl what appeared to be a brown deer into the snow.

The female lycan flanked his side momentarily and I watched as she sank her own claws into the deer's body, ignoring the cries from the animal, only stopping when her claws were embedded deeply into it. I winced as she twisted her arm, and the noises emitting from the animal cut off sharply. Bones cracked and I watched as the male hunter withdrew what looked to be a large sack.

I felt Hannes before I saw him, and noticed the way Jeremiah slipped away from beside me as Hannes took his place. My attention returned to the hunters gathering the now dead deer in their arms, hands drifting over the animal's fur as if in awe or almost in a satisfactory way, before dumping it into the sack.

"Breathe," Hannes rested a hand against my back as he spoke, and when I looked at him, the reassuring smile which had been playing on his lips faltered. He pulled me closer to him, his voice low as he murmured into my ear, "You can always return back home. I'll have Willow walk with you if that's what you'd desire."

I shook my head firmly. "That won't be needed," I turned back to stare at the sack that the female hunter now held; the bottom of it was beginning to drip with blood. "I was just surprised."

I became more so when the lycan made a bee-line straight for me, her smile almost infectious and obvious excitement nearly heart-warming. She couldn't be a few years younger than myself.

"Look, Luna." She pushed the sack forward towards me, bloodied hands peeling the top open so that I could see inside. "Isn't it a beauty?"

I immediately noticed the opened blank dark eyes of the deer, and the way it's body had been broken so it could fit into the sack. I took a small step backwards when a strong smell began to tickle my nostrils and forced a smile.

The woman turned to Athena who'd been ambling her way over. The hunters had resumed walking again whilst the Elder enthusiastically praised the female for the catch, and I hurried to go along with the rest of the hunters, knowing that Hannes would be close by.