Chapter 26

My body became limp, arms heavy as I allowed myself to sink further into the large tank, the water rippling above me, small bubbles rising from my ajared mouth.

I could see the guards of the Klawmoon prison watching beyond the fifteen feet glass tank I was in, observed the way they conversed amongst themselves, seated on splendid chairs, glasses filled with alcohol in hands.

Eyes would stray to my body every now and then, and muffled laughter would be heard when I received a short burst of energy or desperation to survive. I would claw pathetically at the water, pound against the glass with fists, but I knew, at the back of my mind, that Kanes would not allow me to leave until he deemed it appropriate.

A chained Clyde stood by the wall in the room, clothes drenched and hair dripping with water, deep concern and worry etched upon his aging features. I could feel my eyes sting whenever I looked to him and saw the helplessness reflected in his gaze.

I briefly clenched my eyes shut, grasping onto what little hope and strength I had left before attempting once more to somehow escape the tank.

My small legs kicked at the water, which haphazardly brought me up until my fingers skimmed the handle of the closed door above. I twisted it, hoping that the click of it would sound, so I'd know I could possibly leave.

Nothing happened, and I opened my mouth to scream as pure frustration arose. Immediately I regretted my attempts to scream, as water poured into my mouth rapidly. My fingers continued to tug against the handle, narrowed eyes fixated on it, until it eventually turned.

But not by my doing.

Kanes thrusted open the door, and with a swift act, grasped my upper neck, swooping me completely out of the glass tank. I sputtered out the water immediately, coughing whilst desperately attempting to suck in air.

My coughs became wheezing, and my world blurred as Kanes tightened his hold against the back of my neck, the tips of his claws piercing my skin.

Kanes watched as I struggled to compose myself, all the while a sly smile lifting his lips as he roughly set me down on top of the tank. My lungs, chest and stomach burned agonizingly, and I could feel bile rising in my throat as I struggled to stay upright.

The sleeves of Kanes' shirt were wet from repeatedly dragging others out of the large tank after watching their panic and horror as they neared drowning, and Kanes' eyes which had glistened with excitement when he'd pulled the first prisoner out still remained.

Kanes pinched my chin, watching the way my eyes rolled as extreme exhaustion began to pull me under.

However, I immediately stumbled backwards at his abrupt push, my bare feet slapping against metal until my world tilted as I eventually fell.

Momentarily, I was airborne, but spasming pain erupted throughout my body once I dropped to the cold, tiled floor. Ringing noises sang in my ears, and I heaved a hard breath as I found myself unable to move from where I laid on my side.

Applause sounded in the room, the sounds of palms meeting palms repeatedly making my ears burn and my eyes flitted lazily at each face of the lycans, happiness and glee heavy in the air.