Chapter 22

That lone gunshot was followed by many more, and their echoing thundered through the air, so much so that suffocating fear crept up my throat, and my legs propelled myself forward.

Lilith had swung around at the noises, examining what was happening behind me. Her expression was one of concentration, not distress as she examined what I refused to look at.

Whilst Lilith broke off into a run towards the escalating violence, I jogged towards one of the many jeeps, heart pounding painfully until I saw the door swing open.

Yanneek stepped out of the vehicle, and I ran to him, my trembling fingers grasping and fisting the front of his shirt as my world wavered in and out of focus.

Yanneek held me close to him, large palms running up and down my back soothingly, in a similar manner which I had done to Alec when I had comforted him.

"Breathe," Yanneek murmured, shifting us so that my back faced the jeep; his height blocked me from seeing beyond him. "Step inside."

I nodded jerkily, uncurling my fingers from his shirt which had begun to crease from how tightly I'd held it.

Yanneek took some steps backwards, and I could feel his eyes travelling over my form as I rubbed at my forehead and chest, listening to the continuous sounds of a battle breaking out not so far away.

My eyes slowly lifted, and met Yanneek's. And then I glanced briefly behind him.

Understanding dawned. Yanneek nodded and moved forward to close the door, leaving me alone in the jeep only momentarily before he too got inside the jeep as well.

"My god," Yanneek spoke through clenched teeth, and the sound of his exhale seemed to burn my ears. "My god."

I raised my head from it's bent angle, and barely caught sight of him staring through the window of the jeep before I returned to bowing my head, eyes narrowing as I looked at my pants.

I was so tired of battles. Tired of being fearful.

I rubbed at my chest, feeling a familiar ache resting there as I suppressed my tears.

The battle went on, and any words that Yanneek muttered to himself or to me went unnoticed. I began to trace some of the white stitches in my pants with a finger, counting them, analyzing how straight or crooked they were.

And then, when I couldn't count any more, I turned my attention to the sleeves of my shirt, and began to examine the striped patterns on them.
Anything to distract me from what was happening outside.

I became consumed by the tasks I assigned to myself, until the door abruptly opened. Wind and snow kicked up into my face and I automatically slid backwards, attempting to seek warmth from the seats I sat upon, and I met Hannes' stern gaze.

A large gloved hand gripped the door as I steadily watched him, noticing that his attire was now a bit unkempt, and his face was twisted into a scowl.
Hannes pushed open the door further, and stepped aside, so that his large body did not block the entire exit.

"Step outside, Olivia."

I stiffened immediately and sucked in a deep breath as I began to protest. "The batt-" 

"The battle is over." Hannes said tersely. And it was, I realized after a few promptings to exit the jeep.

Lycans were walking in the direction in which we stood, and there were no signs of the soldiers of Corozal, at a first glimpse. But then, I saw that Quinn's life had been spared.

Elijah, the Beta of Hannes' pack, held her by the back of her neck, and her size in comparison to his made it impossible for her to evade his grip, but nonetheless she struggled as she was practically carted along towards the parked vehicles.