Chapter 18

I could see it then, the resemblance between Lilth and Alec, her half-brother. Grey-blue eyes which seemed to hold some sort of cold disdain at times, and the dark hair was what they both shared.

"Is something wrong?" Alec asked quietly when I remained unmoving in my seat, widened eyes travelling over his face again and again.

"Do not tell anyone that there is lycan blood in you." I finally spoke, my voice hushed as I held his worried stare. I didn't need to explain why; this boy had seen the massacre of lycans in that town, and understood that the chances of him being killed was possible.

Alec's eyes lowered to the okras on his plate, and he began to toy with it, whilst I didn't bother to eat. I had no appetite after witnessing today's events.

"You didn't tell me your name." Alec noticed after a moment.

"Olivia."

Alec's eyes narrowed slightly, and he paused, but then carried on eating just when I thought he was going to say or inquire more things about me.

I remained seated in the dining room chair as he ate, with my thoughts racing. Lilith and Alec's father were, more than likely, searching for the boy. And I knew that Alec obviously yearned to be back with the remainder of his family.

However, trying to leave, with just him and myself would rouse suspicion; an experienced trainer or commander would need to travel with those who chose to leave the community, so that there could be some form of protection if danger came.

And if I did manage to convince a commander to come with me, I had a strong inkling that they would be watching my actions closely, as I was still new to this community and I was certain that they didn't trust me.

I could attempt to make the excuse that I needed products for the food or something for the house, but there were several small shops nearby that provided those necessities already.

"Are you okay?" Alec's voice reached my ears and I frowned at the question, and it took me several seconds to comprehend his words.

His pointed stare made me realize that I had been rubbing my palms up and down my pants noisily and I stiffened, gripping the loose material and then stood.

"No," I told him truthfully, holding out a hand for his plate. "Are you finished with that?"

He nodded solemnly, handing it over and I went to the sink, washing the plate clean.

It was whilst I was turning and drying my hands with a kitchen towel that I noticed that Alec had begun crying, releasing soft, mournful sounds that made me shudder, and the strong, calm composure I had been struggling to keep up began to crack.

Walking to the boy and pulling him into a hug didn't ease his tears, which I expected. The killing of a parent caused much grief, and that overwhelming, heavy emotion was something I was familiar with.

Alec's hands wrapped around my neck when I stood with him in my arms, feeling his warm breath and tears hitting my collar bone as I carried him to my own room.

I didn't say any words of things will be better, or everything will be alright, because I couldn't promise him those things. Instead, I sat with him on my bed, just holding him as he cried, running my hands up and down his back, comforting him in ways in which I had hoped someone would have done with me after my parents were killed.