Chapter 48

Lilith had been accurate when she said that I should expect to see Alec very soon. In fact, after a shower later that evening, I saw the young boy standing almost nervously near the entrance of the living room. Clearly Hannes had been the one to let him in, since Willow and Jeremiah were not present.

Hannes stood beside him, and appeared to be attempting to engage in a conversation with the boy, but I noticed Alec’s skittish behavior and his darting eyes. That anxiousness only seemed to ease when he saw me approaching, and I gave him a small smile, which he returned, before launching forward and wrapping his arms around my waist.

I patted his back before taking several steps backwards and examining him. Despite the smile on his lips, I could see a tinge of sorrow in his eyes. His cheeks were flushed, as if he’d ran to the house and I glanced at Hannes who stood silently behind me, observing us and I smirked briefly. So much for having the entire house to ourselves for the day.

I looked back at Alec. “Did your father not come with you?” I asked, crouching so that I was the same height as him, and at the same eye-level. He leaned closer to me as he explained,

“No. My father’s preparing dinner with Lilith back home.” Alec said.

Hannes walked by us, and I noticed the way Alec’s gaze followed the lycan, and then saw that Alec’s fingers began scratching at his wrist, but it did not seem as if there was something irritating his skin. Rather, the action seemed to be a slightly nervous habit. 

“He scares me.” He muttered. I blinked, looking between Alec and then where Hannes had gone into; the kitchen.

“What do you mean?”

Alec shrugged a shoulder, the scratching at his wrist ceasing when I placed a hand against his fingers. The skin there was beginning to turn red. “He’s so tall.” Alec mumbled. “And big.”

I nodded, but sent him a reassuring smile. “He’s fine.” I straightened, and Alec caught ahold of my hand, interlacing my fingers with his own small ones as I walked with him to the living room.

“Lilith said you were really sick.” Alec spoke to me again once we rested on a soft, large, fluffy carpet near the fireplace. He placed a hand against my forehead and I fought smiling at the cute, concerned expression on his face. “Are you feeling better?”

“I am fine.” I told him, firmly. Alec watched me for a second longer and nodded, satisfied.

“So what have you been up to?” I asked, leaning backwards to rest on my elbows and gaze at the boy, who shuffled on his hands and knees closer to the fireplace and rested on his back beside me.

“My dad was making me study some of his books. He was a teacher and has a whole bunch of textbooks.” Alec’s eyebrows furrowed. “I don’t like ’em.”

I laughed softly. “My mother would often make me read many books, and they included a variety of topics. Most of them had been the books she’d used in school, textbooks.”

Alec rolled on his stomach to face me. “Which one was your favorite?” He asked. “Did you have to study Mathematics?”

I snorted and my mind flashed to the past as I remembered a big, green bag my mother would often carry with her. Inside of it were mostly the textbooks which I spoke of, and I’d initially struggled with learning the content, as the words were at times complicated and held meanings that I struggled to understand. However, as time passed, and with the assistance of my mother, I came to understand them, as well as any other information in the books.