36. Gather Myself

My eyes shoot open as I hear a car alarm going off outside. I throw the blanket off me and throw my legs over the bed and just sit there. My mind immediately going to Norman. Is he okay? Does he truly regret it? Did he ever really love me? All these questions going around in my head. I take a deep breath and shake my head. "Stop... stop doing this shit to yourself. Now get up. Take a shower and get some food in your belly." I say quietly to myself. I take a few more deep breaths and head into the bathroom to take a shower.

           I pour some shampoo in my hands and start massaging my scalp. I growl at the length of my hair. Becoming more of a pain in the ass than anything else. I start to wash the shampoo out of my hair. Hearing my hair squeak as the water washes the shampoo away.

          I shave my legs and other things and step out of the shower. Wrapping my towel around me and walking back into my bedroom. I look down at my phone and see I have a missed call. I unlock my phone and see that Lucy called me. I decide to call her back.

          I put my phone on speaker while I walk over to my closet and start deciding which clothes I want to wear today. "Hello, Piper? That you?" I hear Lucy ask me on the other end. I look back at the phone and chuckle. "Um... yeah. Who else would it be?" I ask her. I pull out a long sleeved, dark blue button shirt and pull out some black high rise pants and throw them both on the bed.

          "Piper... it's been almost two weeks since I last heard or saw you? Everything okay?" Lucy asks me. "Yeah. Just been busy, you know?" I say almost immediately. I walk over to the phone and sit down on the edge of my bed. "Listen... I'll be coming in today. Probably in an hour or so. I'll see you there, okay?" I say to her. I hear Lucy sigh on the other end. "Okay. I'll see in you in a bit." Lucy says before hanging up the phone.

           After the phone call, I dry myself off and blow dry my hair and give myself some loose curls. I look in the mirror and give myself a smile before walking out the door and catching a cab.

          Once we arrive, I pay the cabbie and walk into the main building. The sounds of animals and kids immediately filling my ears. I see Lucy talking to one of guests. Lucy looks around and when she sets her eyes on me, she gives me a small smile before going back to the guest.

          I walk back into my office and shut the door behind me. I set my bag on the floor and sit down at my desk and start doing paper work and answering emails. I roll my eyes at a few emails that seem ridicules.

          I hear a knock at my office door. "It's open." I say. I look up as the door opens, revealing Lucy. I smile up at her as she walks into my office and shuts the door. I look back down at my paper as she sits down in the chair in front of my desk.

          I put the papers down and look up at her. Knowing that I have to talk to her or she won't leave. "What can I do for you, Lucy?" I ask her. She looks in my eyes and shrugs her shoulders. "You've never and I mean never... have went two weeks without checking in. With me or someone else here. So something is up... I want to know what." Lucy says to me.

          I take a deep breath and shake my head. Feeling my eyes start to get watery. "Something happened... I just needed a minute to gather myself." I say to her. Not really in the mood to spill everything. Lucy leans forward and puts her arms on my desk. "You know me... I'm not leaving this office until you spill. The blinds are down and the door is closed. No one else is here but me and you." Lucy says to me. I look into her eyes and I feel myself start to fall apart inside.

          I take a few deep, shaky breaths and straighten my back. "Norman cheated on me." I say to her kind of fast. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't understand what I said. I see her eyes get wide and her mouth slightly open. "That's I needed a minute to gather myself. And I love you, Lucy. I do... but I really don't want to talk about it. Not right now. And please don't tell anyone." I say. Lucy nods her head and slumps back into the chair.