44. Unintentional Guilt

"So, today and for the rest of my pregnancy we will be in New York. We gotta go see your doctor and be close to him. I hope when you're older you get to experience the city like I did." I say into the camera.

I put my hair behind my ears and smile into the camera. "Since I got about a month left before you get here, I have to be more careful, which also means makings sure my doctor visits are regular. I kind of bounced from doctors office to the next since I've been pregnant with you. But, now that it's serious, I want the best. Which happens to be in the city." I say.

I take a drink of my water on the table next to me.

"Your dad and I met in New York. Which is where he still lives. Or maybe he doesn't anymore. He plays on this really cool and exciting show. I might just have to sit you down one day and watch it. It's that good." I say. I haven't yet told Lucy or the baby about Norman calling me two months ago. I knew that Lucy would freak and would probably forbid me from coming back to New York.

I take a deep breath and decide to tell my baby.

"Your dad called me. A couple of months ago. Well, actually your Grandmother called me, but I did hear his voice. I would be lying if I wasn't scared for a minute. Scared something had happened to him. He did ask about you, though. Wanted to know if you were okay. Which I told him you were. You're literally in the safest place on the planet. Right here in my tummy." I say. I hear my apartment door unlock and quickly turn off my camera and put it away.

I turn around and see Lucy walking in with a few bags of food. "Hey, why didn't you call me? I would have met you downstairs and helped you carry these up." I say to Lucy. Lucy gently places the groceries on the floor and looks me up and down. "Okay, miss I'm so pregnant." Lucy says to me. I give her a playful scoff and help her put the groceries up.

The rest of the night, Lucy and I stayed up and watched some really goofy films.

Morning time had arrived and I was totally nervous. "You sure you don't need me there?" I hear Lucy ask from behind me. I turn around and look at her. "I'm sure. Go to the shelter. Check on our babies and make sure our people are doing good." I say to Lucy. Lucy takes in a deep breath and exhales. "I'm literally a call away." Lucy says as she walks out of my apartment.

I still had an hour before my doctors appointment. I looked at my phone and decided to go down to my local coffee shop and get some cold coco.

I walk down the street and enter into the shop. "Hey! We've missed you around here." Lucas the owner says loudly. I smile at him and he puts his hands up. "First off, you're pregnant. Holy shit and second... coming right up." Lucas says as he moves around and starts making my cold coco.

I walk up to the counter and get my money ready. "Nope. Put it away." I hear someone say. I turn around and see Mingus behind me. My eyes go wide and he immediately wraps his arms around me. I return the hug. "Holy hell. Look at you. How have you been?" I ask him.

Mingus tightens the hug around me as best as he can with my bulging belly.

He pulls away and looks down at my stomach. With it being early September, the weather was getting just a little chilly out. So I had on a long sleeved, baggy shirt and some maternity pants.

He looks up into my eyes and I nod my head. Mingus looks back down and gently places his hands on my stomach. "Do you know what it is yet?" Mingus asks me. He looks back up at me and I shake my head. "Nope. I kind of want it to be a surprise." I say to him. I look into his eyes and I see the happiness and the sadness behind them.