18

Alex steps forward pushing his way through the mud and hears the girl behind him.

"so, sally, she's alive?"

"yeah..." Alex nods and looks over the field eyeing the walkers and looks up eyeing the sun getting ready o go down. he sighs and motions into the woods.

"We can find some cover in there tonight, we'll make camp, eat and then set out tomorrow."

she nods understanding and they make their ay to the woods to a secluded area. lex sets up some small traps and the girl stares after him but doesn't say anything. he stops and asks.

"what's wrong?"

"it's cold"

"almost winter again falls over soon. I can tell the leave are shedding already."

Alex remains quiet thinking of his sister and what he has to do and swallows hard as he hears the girl.

"why'd you ask me to come?"

Alex lies to her making up an excuse.

"I wanted company."

"you hate the company."

"not yours" he lowers his voice starting to sound sweet and the girl looks him over suspicious as she asks.

"so were, where is she, sally?" 

"further down at another community run by Mason. it will take a few more hours of walking tomorrow"

Alex sits slowly on the blanket next to the girl who stares him down but doesn't talk. he looks to her and his face contorts into a small smile trying to seme convincing as he comments.

"are you okay?" he drops his smile and she pushes herself close to him but pushes back a bit at the smell and asks.

"how long has it been since you showered?"

"I don't know-"

"do you maybe, want to shower? there is a lake down-"

"not really..." 

"I bet sally would appreciate it-"

Alex turns his head slowly and the girl rolls her eyes.

"well, I would."

te girl cuddles up close to him and comments.

"But I get it, you were raised out here, right? Alex..."

he keeps staring at the dirt and she comments.

"your not a walker though, your human."

she grips his forearm and he stares down at her hand contemplating his choice and looks up to her as he nods.

"I know."

"do you?" she asks sounding concerned as she keeps talking.

"People are afraid fo your Alex, they think you're insane but I know your not you've been through a lot-"

he grips his hand over hers and comments.

"I'm fine. I just want to talk to my sister that's all."

"what if she's dead?" she asks sounding concerned.

"she isn't she just was to me for a while after what happened but she's family."

the girl rests her head on Alex's shoulder ignoring the stench of walkers radiating off of him and she asks

"will you be okay-"

"I'm fine-"

******************************************************************************************