21

Alex sits there feeling the sting as someone wraps his shoulders. He sits there but the doors open and Mason steps in as Alex worriedly asks.

"did you, is she okay, what happened?"

Mason turns his head and motions out to the man helping Alex. The man walks out of the room and Mason nods to Alex.

"nothing. you two are my kids a small sibling spat is hardly something that I need to deal with."

"Sally would've killed her-"

"yes " Mason states sure of his answer and Alex asks.

"that would have been bad, right?" Alex asks sounding worried and Mason nods.

"depends I mean Presley killed a kid and I gave her a nasty scar--"

"but that was an accident ..."

"yes but intentional murder is more serious that is true"

"Why didn't you mark her?"

"Because this never happened, understand me, Alex?"

"yes sir.."

Mason nods his head and motions to Alex.

"I want you and your new wife back on scouting as soon as possible"

"what about Sally?"

"She isn't your worry not now or ever. I will take care of Sally."

"Can I see her?"

"No." Mason states coldly and stares down Alex as he comments.

"I let you have this because you made amends for killing Chaz, for helping me diffuse stuff with Sam. I owed you so you treat that wife very good Alex. Don't make a fool of me." 

"I won't..."

"good, then pack up and head out tomorrow first thing back to the scout, then home for lunch."

Alex feels his body tighten as Mason places his hand tightly on his shoulder squeezing and comments.

"Keep those eyes open. I have a feeling that scout is going to be very interesting tomorrow."

Mason goes to walk out but stops and motions back.

"Why don't we have lunch together? just us tomorrow. like how Miya use to make it"

"Miya..." Alex hugs himself remembering the comfort of his mother figure and Mason glances back as he licks his lips as he lets out a small laugh.

"she was.... she was good to you both but I could have been better-"

"you're fine.." Alex nods to him and stares down Mason.

"you prepared us Mason." Mason nods looking over Alex and smirks.

"yeah, I guess I did..." 

              *******************************************************************

"Mason..." Mason turns as his car door opens and spots Sally as she nods to him and holds out the knife.

"I don't need it-" He takes it eyeing it over and doesn't see any blood as he comments.

"clean?"

She nods her head and asks.

"Can I ride with you?"

"I'm going back to the estate."

"I want to be there." Sally says and stares down mason who turns his head.

"Alex will be there..." Mason says starting the girl down and she nods her head.

"I actually want to see Sam."

"Sam?" Mason shifts his eyes and Sally nods.

"he's back isn't he?"

"yeah." Sally glances up.

"Can I ride with you?"

Mason smirks and shifts his body motioning into the car.

"How can I say no?" Sally gets into the car and mason does the same, she hears the door lock into place and shifts her body noticing the driver is new and remains quiet, not asking. the car shifts and mason sits there quietly as Sally asks. 

"do you ever miss her?"

Mason lets out a small laugh "of course."

She sits there still and feels mason hand lightly tap her leg sending her comfort and she shifts asking.

"did it really have to go that way?"

"shit happens Sal..." Mason's eyes shift to her but his smile drops into a frown and he comments.

"I wish it went differently but it's too late for that and no point beating myself up."

Sallys shifts her hand placing it insides mason's as she rests her head on his shoulder and remains quiet as mason turns his head and asks

"do you regret I sent you two to the community?"

"you didn't know he was a monster."

"But you were kids."

"We weren't since the first day.." She squeezes his hand and Mason turns his head and motions out the window. he rolls it down and Sally leans forward eyeing the green grass of the estate and smiles. She whispers sounding happy.

"home."

Mason leans forward kissing Sally's hand and smiles as he whispers.

"remember nothing will hurt you in my walls, you will always be safe and you will always have a place at my home"

Sally stares out the window eyeing the green grass and grins wide but notices something and she frows whispering.

"It smells like smoke..." Mason shifts eyeing the flames rising from the estate and the car stops short a good distance away. he steps out and stands there eying the estate burn and hears sally.

"what happened..."

"Shhh..." Mason comforts sally as he stares down his childhood home burning and whispers.

"revenge..." Sally remains quiet and mason stares it down as he eyes the fire and hears the driver.

"Should we leave?"

"no." Mason motions to Sally and smiles.

"take her to the cabin, I will be there in a day or two" Sally shakes her head whispering.

"don't, don't go..."

He motions to the car and the man helps Sally inside and locks the doors as mason motions.

"drive, keep driving and don't stop for no one not even our people."

"yes, sir." the car speeds off and mason walks across the green grass in the direction of the burning estate feeling the wind blow and stops smelling the stench of rotting flesh. He stops himself and eyes some walkers coming his way and turns his head eyeing the familiar faces. He jams a knife into one of the walker's skull and hears the screams from the estate. he turns eyeing another walker and jams his knife again. He kicks it and it falls to the ground dead. Mason breaths out hearing a scream and hears a voice. 

"don't do this!" he shakes his head feeling his hand shakes with nervousness and again hears a voice scream. 

"MASON!" He looks up noticing the walkers blocking his path and quickly decides to retreat back to the road giving up.