Together (Murder Twins Flashback) Part Two

Alex and sally walk forward hearing a loud yell from upfront.

"keep quiet..."

A woman bends down eyeing the two kids and nods to Alex.

"you alright?" Alex glances up as he nods to her.

"fine..." 

"we will be okay the soldiers will protect us..."

"Alex..." a man in military attire waves him forward and Alex walks up next to the man as he remains quiet and the man bends down.

"you okay buddy?"

"fine.." Alex replies and shits his eyes as the man speaks.

"We have a long way to go is your sister gonna be alright?"

Alex doesn't correct the man and nods his head.

"she's fine..."

"good keep her safe buddy..." The Sargent winks to the kid and Alex walks away as he hears someone yell.

"Sargent wells!" the man nods his head and yells back.

"breaks over. we move now!"

the group behind starts walking again and Sally walks side by side with Alex as Alex asks.

"what is your favorite TV show?"

"Are we even going to watch tv again?" Sally asks sounding depressed and Alex shugs.

"don't know..."

"Why did we have to leave. why couldn't we stay with your dad?"

"he was sick..."

"but he's a doctor couldn't he make himself better..."

"no." Alex shakes his head and turns to sally speaking softly.

"Doctors can't fix everything especially not this..."

"walkers!" Alex pulls Sally down and shushes her as he hears gunshots and sally flinches as she grips his hand and whispers.

"I'm scared.."

"don't be Sargent wells will protect us..."

she grips his hand holding it and hears another gunshot and Alex begins singing softly drowning out the gunshots and she smiles to him as she whispers.

"Thanks..."

he doesn't reply and sees Sargent wells walk forward drenched in blood as he takes a deep breath and motions to the group of civilians

"we are clear now. we are gonna grab some trucks and make the drive up to the school. if all goes we will be there in a few hours and there won't be any more stops."

trucks pull up and wells yells out.

"women and children first!" Alex and Sally get into a truck and wells gets into the back with them as he nods."

"it will be okay..."

the truck takes off and it plows through a pile of walkers. Sally glances out asking as she looks at the still waiting crowd of people.

"what about those people?"

"wells unhooks the back drape and lets it drop blocking sally's view as he lies to the child.

"more trucks are coming..."

Alex glances up unsure he believes him but goes along with it.

"Yeah, they are soldiers sally they wouldn't leave people behind.." Alex shifts his eyes making eye contact with wells who smirks knowingly at the kid and shifts his eyes avoiding his gaze ashamed of his own actions.

sally scoots closer to Alex and remains quiet as she puts the pieces together and asks outright.

"There isn't any other truck is there?" wells sighs going to open his mouth but Alex lies again.

"of course there is, sally..." Alex smirks and sally turns her head and scoots away from Alex as she comments.

"I'm not dumb..."

"look  kids. I will keep the promise I made to your dad but too many people slow us down and we have an important job to do..."

"What kind of job?" sally asks and Alex nods his head agreeing as he leans forward and wells sighs.

"surviving that's our job now..." the truck stops and the drape in front pushes to the side as the man driving nods.

"We should get some rest..."

"no, no rest till we make it there..."

"We have hours to go..."

"and we can't waste time..." wells motions forward to the driver seat.

"i will drive. you rest back here..."

the man crawls in back and lays out on the bench as he stares down the kids.

"how you two doing?"

"alive..." Alex comments and the man nods his head as he drifts off to sleep. He jilts awake feeling the truck hit a speed bump and lifts his eyes eyeing Alex and sally cuddles together sleeping. he rubs his eyes and hears a voice up front.

"Awake?" The man pushes forward into the passenger seat and sits back eyeing wells as he asks.

"so west point?"

"it's secure and I hear there is a group there"

"a group?"

"yes. they call themselves the patriots some soldiers and civilians came together"

"who's in charge?" wells shrugs his shoulders taking a right but stops the truck eyeing the cars piled up.

"This is insanity everyone has the same ideas..."

"trying to get away from the city no doubt..." the other guy nods and wells sighs as the man asks.

"their barely moving?"

"they set up security checkpoints most won't leave they are trying to lock down the towns secure the infected...."

"is that even possible?" wells shrugs and takes a turn going down a carpool lane but stops short as he eyes the walkers and the other man comments.

"that's not security..."

wells floors the truck running down the walkers and the two kids in back jilt awake as Sally asks.

"what was that?"

"We hit something..." Alex states and rubs his neck as sally asks.

"are you okay?"

"yes, I'm fine why does everyone ask me that?" Alex states sounding annoyed and sally looks down as she asks outright.

"your dad..."

"don't worry about that..." Alex stares forward and sally asks.

"Just promise me something, Alex?" Alex turns and nods to the girl as he whispers.

"what?" she nods at him and whispers pushing close.

"let's never separate, okay?"

"Okay..." Alex says simply and sally frowns as she scoots away and Alex smiles not commenting to the girl.