CHAPTER 8: WINDS OF THE WEST

"Are you sure sir?"

"What part of turn the ship around did you not understand? Turn the bloody ship around!" a short man sitting on a chair supported by a number of books to make him look a little taller shouts.

"Aye sir. We'll turn the ship right away." A young man with long erect ears and short white hair runs out of the room, goes out to the ship's deck and relays the order.

"TURN THE SHIP AROUND, CAPTAIN'S ORDERS!"

Everyone on the ship - beautiful tall creatures, some half naked from the waist up, sweat running down their skin, waist long hair, all working in the light of the setting sun. Dark elves.

"What do you mean turn the ship around?" One of the dark elves on deck asks.

"That's what I was told okay, if you have a problem with it, take it up with the captain." the young man answers.

"Are you trying to get smart with me Kai?" The dark elf asks, slowly walking towards the young man who bravely stands his ground considering the size of the dark elf that is now standing in front him.

"No, I just told you what the captain said and if he comes up here and see's the ship still headed-"

"Kairo!" The captain's voice sounds off from behind him.

"Yes captain?"

"Why is the ship still headed for home and not for that island?" The captain asks.

"There is a little problem with the crew sir."

"Problem? What problem?" The captain asks with a slightly pissed off tone and annoyed look.

"Well-"

"Well, you see captain, Kairo here doesn't want to go to the island. He is scared and I am trying to tell him to suck it up and grow a pair, but he just won't listen." the dark elf says walking closer to the captain and standing next to him.

Damn you Meir. You're the one that doesn't want to go to the island. Why do you have to lie? Kairo thinks.

"I see. Okay then, Kairo! Come here." the captain calls the young man to his side.

Kairo makes his way over to him and stands in front of the captain, looking over his head. "Take a knee." the captain orders.

He does so and in a blink of an eye the captain's hand meets with his cheek. "You insolent fool. You cannot even do one thing right. Why are you even here? Filthy half breed."

What did I-? A sharp object goes through Kairo's chest. Dammit. Why? I didn't even do anything. Meir... it's all Meir. He's the one that tried to pull out of going to the island. Dammit Meir... you'll pay for this...

"Now that that is out of the way, turn this bloody ship around!" The captain orders the rest of the crew and walks away leaving the blood hemorrhaged hybrid elf laying on the deck.

Meir and five other crew members walk up to him laughing their pants off. "Kai... Kai... Kai. Poor little Kai. I thought you knew how things worked around here, but it seems like you keep forgetting so I'll explain it to you, again." he puts his foot on Kairo's face. "You see, there's captain Vicuis and after him, there's me, period. Whatever the chain of command says doesn't matter, what I say does. Now you're going to bleed out and we're going to leave you here, try and think about what you just did." Meir says with a grin.

You'll pay for this Meir, I promise you. You'll all pay for this... Kairo thinks as he passes out.
-

Kairo's POV