Reality

"Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real." - Michelle Hodkin,  The unbecoming of Mara Dyer

As Milo

I walk in to Carlos' pizza parlor and I spot Willow and my mom right away.  This is not going to be easy but it's something we cannot avoid.  We all need to know the truth even if it is going to hurt.  I wave to Carlos and he looks over to where the ladies are waiting, I nod.  I take a deep breath as I grab a chair from the next table.  They are sitting in a booth and I don't feel like sitting next to either of them.  Willow looks tired like she stays up for days but nonetheless she is still so beautiful.

  Willow looks tired like she stays up for days but nonetheless she is still so beautiful

She looks at me "Milo... "  That's all she says, my name.  I take her hand in mine and it is cold "You feeling okay shorty?"  She pulls her hand away from me "Yes I'm fine."  My mom says "Now I have both of you here.  It's time for me to tell you both the truth."  Carlos brings over the pizza "Eat up... don't waste my pizza okay?  I will charge you triple if you all don't finish it."  I look up at him "No problem man... you know we always polish off you pizza to the last bite."  He winks at me "Take all the time you need.  We are open till 3 AM."   I have to thank Carlos later... he always has my back.  After he walks away I say "You ladies heard him... eat up."  Willow picks up a piece and puts it on a plate for my mom.  Then she puts another piece on another plate and gives it to me.  She pours herself a full glass of beer and starts downing it.  I stop her "Shorty... can you eat first?  You are going to get drunk if you don't eat."  She gives me this half smile "Drunk is good.  I like being drunk."  My mom picks up a piece of pizza and puts it on a plate "My child... eat."  Her tone was firm and just loud enough.  Willow takes the plate from her like a child would "Thanks..."  Both my mom and I watch as Willow takes a bite, then another bite and another bite.  I know she cannot resist Carlos' pizzas.  We all eat our first piece of pizza in silence and I can tell my mom is also enjoying hers.

Finally we are done and Willow is again finishing up her beer.  She looks at me and then my mom "I'm ready..."  My mom pours herself a full glass of beer and downs it.  When I say she downs it, she empties the glass "Mom... slow down."  She pours herself another full glass and the pitcher is almost done.  She looks over to Carlos and raises up the pitcher.  Carlos of course knows what she wants.  I am the only one that's not drinking right now and maybe I also need a drink.  I pour the last of the beer into my glass.  I down it because I know I am going to need it.

As Willow

I don't know how I'm feeling right now.  Milo is here and I just want to get this over with.  I want to know the truth.  Why is Milo a Grayson now and WHO the fuck am I?  My whole life has been nothing but a lie?  I don't understand and I'm just so confused.  If Sheldon and Jacqueline Grayon are not my parents... where are my real parents?  As we wait for Carlos to bring us another pitcher of beer I say "Amelia... can you please tell us what's going on?"  I think she is on her 3rd glass of beer and her face is red "I want you kids to know you both are very much loved... no matter what I'm about to say."  I think to myself... really?  Living in a lie my whole life with people that are not my parents.  She continues "My sister Rosa... she was a waitress working at our uncle's restaurant... back in Italy.  We were from a poor family so we had to work to make a living.  Rosa started working since she was 14." Carlos brings over another pitcher of beer and walks away.  Willow picks it up and pours beer into our empty glasses.   My mom speaks again "Well... Rosa met Sheldon when he was on a business trip in Italy.  Sheldon Grayson kept going back to our uncle's restaurant everytime he was in town... My sister Rosa fell in love with him."  Amelia drinks some more before she keeps going "Then one night she came home and told me... she was pregnant with Sheldon's child." I think this is just like the movies and I smirk "So the waitress falls in love with this foreigner and has his baby.  He disappears..."  Amelia is not amused "Well... Rosa didn't tell him she was pregnant.  The only person that knew was me.  I was there when she gave birth to Milo... there was complications and she never got a chance to meet her baby boy."  I know I'm getting sad with teary eyes so I drink more beer.  Milo stops me again "Shorty... slow down please."  I am thinking who makes him the adult now.