Chapter 11

The next day, Krey promised himself to stay at the institute while Francis met his mate and bonded with him. Krey's jealousy soared through the roof every time he thought about their meet up. At least he knew someone was looking out for his mate.

Krey avoided his mother all day. He barricaded his door shut the night before, so he could wake up in peace. Krey had successfully eaten breakfast and lunch without talking to anyone, though he felt more eyes on him than usual.

When he left his room for something else to eat at 4:30 in the evening, Francis had just set off to meet Pip. She was almost denied exit, and had to find Krey to walk her to the gate because the guards didn't believe that the Alpha gave an Omega permission.

As Krey rummaged around the kitchen, an unwanted scent lingered among the cheese. "What is it Jordan," Krey grumbled with his face in the fridge.

"Oh, you know, I'm just checking up on you."

Krey frowned at the yoghurt and stood back to look at him. "Why?"

"I haven't seen you in a while."

"Am I supposed to find you now?"

Jordan's face reddened. "No. Of course not. I just mean that well, you've been more distant than usual." Jordan visibly cringed at his own words as Krey glared. "I guess..." He sighed. "I'm just a little hurt that you went running with an Omega yesterday and not me, your Beta wolf."

"Oh, you're my Beta? You don't act like it," Krey said, thinking of how Francis had been the one to help him and keep his secrets. Krey knew if Jordan had followed him, he would have started rumours around the institute and blamed someone else.

"Sorry, Krey, but you don't act like Alpha either." Jordan crossed his arms, daring to stare Krey in the eyes with his adrenaline fuelled confidence.

Krey's face sharpened. He slowly uncrossed his arms and Jordan's hard exterior wavered. "Speak to me like that again, and you'll have another scar to match the one you've already got."

"I don't believe you." Jordan uncrossed his arms too. "I thought your dad would have prepared you for this. It's obvious you have no idea what you're doing. It's embarrassing Krey. You just yell and do nothing with your words. We need authority, and with you as our leader, we're losing control."

A high-pitched ringing cracked through Krey's head. Whenever anyone mentioned his father, Krey wanted to sink into the ground with despair. Though this time, he wanted to punch Jordan to establish dominance. Violence was the only way Krey knew how to gain respect. Someone challenging him was the one thing that angered Krey the most.

He tore through the kitchen like a crazed beast and Jordan barely reached the door before Krey rugby tackled him into the hallway. He pinned Jordan to the ground and punched him in the jaw. Those in the corridor stopped to watch. Krey's knuckles ached immediately, but he hit Jordan again, and again, and again until he heard a crack.

When Jordan was bloody and weak, Krey gripped his hair and cupped his throat. "All words and no play am I?" he growled in his face. "You want authority Jordan, do you?"

Krey stood up, breathing heavy. When he was taller than everyone around him, he saw his mother standing out of the way, watching him, judging him as she always did. Krey no longer cared about what she thought. "Jordan here thinks we're losing control. He thinks I'm not fit to be his Alpha." Krey looked around at the shocked faces. "If you think like Jordan, then challenge me and see who wins."

Nobody moved. Nobody made a sound.

Krey pointed to Jordan. "This is what will happen if you speak out of term. I am your Alpha. You will treat me with respect."