Chapter 58

Krey pulled his head back and looked at Pip's blue eyes, grey in the moonlight. He nodded his head, trying his hardest to ignore Mark who stood with Victoria. In his wolf form, Krey could bite down on Mark's leg or arm, or somewhere to cause immense pain.

Punching Mark in the chest was Krey being kind. If Victoria wasn't family, or someone Krey actually liked, Mark would be dead.

Krey concentrated on Pip's fingers running through his fur. he had waited for this moment for weeks. Is he really not scared? Krey was terrifying, and his transformation into his wolf wasn't for the faint hearted. Pip had now watched him shift both ways and didn't bolt into the darkness, screaming until his lungs hurt. He's being brave for me.

Krey softly licked Pip's cheek and his mate chuckled. Could they really connect the bond during one of the most chaotic nights Krey had lived through in months? Pip still shivered, and he was exhausted, but not afraid, and that's all that mattered.

Krey shuffled closer in the snow. Pip was so close, hugging for one minute wouldn't be a problem. Being deep in the woods gave him the impression that they had all the time in the world. Nothing moved around them. The woods felt like a different time, a better time, a calmer time.

Krey acted first and rested his chin on Pip's shoulder, willing for them to hug. Pip was slow to sink into him, but once his arms were around Krey's thick neck, Pip hugged him tightly and buried his face into Krey's fur.

Krey tried to count the seconds in his head. When he reached thirty seconds, his mind drifted to how content his wolf felt for the first time in a long time. Usually when Krey was in his wolf form, he was angry, or on a hunt, or packed with adrenaline and wanting to fight and run and feel the wind tearing through him.

Now, all Krey wanted was to flop into Pip's lap and feel his fingers running through the fur around his ears.

Krey closed his eyes, forgetting about Victoria and Mark, about the fight at Shadow Packhouse, and about how far they were from Crescent Packhouse. He forgot about the cold snow underneath him, and only dedicated his focus to his mate, Pippor Monty, the cute human with sparkling blue eyes, deep dimples, a freckly nose, and brown wavy hair that liked to stick up in the mornings.

Krey's mind plummeted to Crescent Library. He thought about that first glance, and how he approached Pip to help him put his book back on the shelf. Krey thought about that first suffocating hug outside Pip's aunt and uncle's house, and their first kiss on crescent hill, among the stars and the snow and the slit of the moon.

Krey thought about their first morning together and how small Pip looked curled up in the middle of his bed. He thought about the first time he woke up next to his mate, and how utterly at peace he was with Pippor Monty in his arms.

Krey lost himself in thought and felt as though he drifted with a warm breeze, up and up until he floated with the stars.

Suddenly, Krey felt whole, complete, fixed.

By the time is mind crashed to earth, he knew the bond had connected, and Pip successfully hugged him for longer than a minute. The first thing Krey felt was his mate's body against him, and his fingers gently caressing the fur on his back.

Pip had thought about Krey the same way, but from his perspective. The good times they shared together would only get better. The memories they shared would grow in quantity, and the love they had for each other would never perish, even if one of them died before the other.

Krey lifted his head from Pip's shoulder. Their eyes connected. Something twirled in Pip's gaze, something Krey hadn't yet seen. Love? Admiration? Krey felt different too. He felt stronger with Pip so close, like he could tackle the world as long as his mate was by his side.