Chapter 74

Krey paused when his mother exited his bedroom at the end of the corridor. "What are you doing?" he asked, stomping towards her with Pip in his arms.

"Just making sure it's definitely clean. Francis and I knew your room would be trashed. Your laptop was trampled on, your bed frame was broken to pieces, and Pip's clothes were thrown out of the window. We're cleaning them now, don't worry Pip. We checked the room for any cameras or anything like that. It's all clear, just a bit of a... mess."

Krey peered into his room. The mattress was on the floor with a fresh black sheet and a thick black duvet for Pip. Krey glanced to the window, once again broken. His couch was torn like a feral wolf had chewed it through the night, and his dark grey floorboards were clawed to bits. Some boards in the corner of the room raised and snapped. "Rogue freaks," Krey muttered, and turned back to his mother who was almost at her own bedroom door. "Hey!" Krey yelled. She paused and glanced his way. "Thanks." Krey wanted to say thank you for trying to work with Francis too, but that would have been too much praise for Krey to dish out in one day.

Makena smiled, and Krey entered his room, noting the temperature drop because of the plastic sheet covering the window. He tucked Pip under the duvet and laid down beside him. They both stared around the room for a while, finally letting their mad weekend sink in. "At least we can now decorate the room to suit you more too," Krey mumbled, glaring at Pip's yellow puffer Jacket hanging on the back of the door. A big slit opened the back, clearly from a wolf's claw.

"We could maybe adventure to a different colour?" Pip suggested, glancing at Krey's black furniture and grey walls and grey floor.

"Perhaps."

Pip couldn't turn his head to look at him, so he smiled and tried reaching for his hand.

Krey brought Pip's knuckles to his mouth, kissing them tenderly.

"So you didn't find the Southern Alpha," Pip said, enjoying the feeling of his kisses.

"No, but we will, and I'll kill him."

Pip didn't need to see his face to know he meant it. "Do you think they have more wolves coming?"

"I don't know. Probably." Krey heard Pip's heart spike. "It's fine though. We know we have allies now, and they know that too." Krey sat up, so Pip could see him.

"Do you think Jordan's death kick started everything? I think their plan would've been a lot less chaotic of Jordan hadn't died. They might've even, um, gotten to us."

"I do think Jordan's death was a nasty shock, and the Alpha would have sent the wolves to Shadow Packhouse out of grief. The plan for the traitor Beta's didn't achieve anything because we found out that I'm not entirely to blame for everything. I think they secretly planned to take over each pack in the North and surprise me if I tried to reach out to allies. That would've been more like one of their plans." Krey crossed his arms, scowling. "I don't want to talk about them anyway. I want to talk about you."

"Me?"

"Yes. You missed college today, and you no longer live with your aunt and uncle, and you no longer work at the café, and you no longer spend evenings in the library. People will think I abducted you or something."

"Maybe I can become another institute conspiracy," Pip grinned, and his dimples deepened.

"The boy stolen by wolves." Krey's brown eyes melted into Pip's smile.

"And with what happened with my parents, people will really believe it."

Krey's face froze. "We can ask human authorities to plant a different rumour."