Chapter 63

A few called my books predictable. I snapped :')

- Sian

"Shut the fuck up, right now." Krey couldn't have sounded sharper. "You mean to tell me that Jordan, my dad's beta wolf, was the mate of the southern Alpha? Tell me you're joking Viktor. Tell me right now."

"I'm not joking. After your father was killed, his allies were rightly distraught. Your father was a good man. He didn't deserve to die by the hands of humans, so we... started investigating."

"We?"

"I mean myself and the Shadow Pack."

"Investigate what? I fucked up, there were deaths. How could you know there was more to it?" Krey started pacing. Wolves jumped out of his way before he pushed them out of his way. "I wish Jordan was here so I could kill him all over again." Krey then paused. "How long had he been the Alpha's mate?"

"Years."

"How could he have lived in our Packhouse for years then? How could my father not know about that?"

"The Bedlam Pack keep their enemies very close, it would seem. And they used you Krey. They took advantage of your carelessness and painted themselves a victim. But they killed your father, and not out of revenge. You are not at fault for your father's death, Krey. You were the real victim in all of this." Viktor's eyes flicked to Krey's human mate, assuming Krey had told him about what happened.

"How did you find out about all of this?" Krey was fuming. His eyes started pulsing red. As he paced, his glare clashed with Pip, who watched him storm back and forth. What have I dragged him into?

"It started with Saphine," Viktor said, and sat feebly on a chair by the door. "She was so upset about her brother's death, she wanted to kill everyone involved. She wanted to kill you Krey. The blame was pinned on you after all. You were a wild wolf last year and I knew it was only a matter of time until something bad happened, your father thought that too. Nobody expected you to have killed the Alpha's mate, and you've never killed anyone before that, so I knew something wasn't right. The way you captured the Alpha's mate was too easy. Nobody accidentally strolls into the Crescent Pack territory unless they're looking for trouble. That was the first clue I noticed, and the first mistake they made."

Viktor once again looked at Pip and tilted his head like something interested him.

"What happened after you started to get suspicious?" Makena asked.

"Well, I spotted their second mistake." Viktor pointed to Krey and Pip. "This is just an example, but Krey, if your mate was killed by southern wolves, how would you avenge him?"

Krey froze at such a heart wrenching question. "I'd go over there and kill everyone, starting with the person who did it."

"Yes, as would any heart-broken wolf. But the Alpha of the Bedlam Pack sent humans to avenge their mate. Don't you think that's odd?" Viktor shifted on his chair and stared at Makena. "How did you feel when Roden died?"

"I was ready to wipe out the entire Bedlam pack. It was Jordan who talked me out of it and said it would cause more damage to our pack." Makena scoffed and shook her head with a face like her words tasted foul. "If only I had known who he really was." Makena's hands turned to fists. If she had a wolf, her eyes would be pulsing gold.

"Now onto their third mistake." Viktor rubbed his white stubble, following Krey back and forth with sunken eyes. "killing Roden Graymer, and not Krey."

Krey stopped pacing, but he was visibly enraged. His pack had crowded together at the back of the room, trying to stay out of his way.

"Killing Krey's father was the biggest mistake of all." Viktor spoke out to everyone as though they were his audience. "Especially when I heard that Krey was in the room with him. Krey and Makena were obviously too grief stricken to know what I had discovered, so I went to the Shadow Pack a few weeks after the funeral, to discuss the idea of Roden's death being the plan all along. At first, Saphine didn't want to hear it, but she started to see the Bedlam Pack's mistakes, and wanted more than anything to know what they were doing."