Chapter 65

Makena found Krey by the back door with Pip in his arms. The boys sat together on the steps, hugging and speaking softly about the bond.

"It is weird to go from having nobody around, to suddenly wanting to be with you all the time," Pip said with his head on Krey's shoulder. "I keep thinking I'd want space because I'm so used to it, but I don't."

"I used to love being on my own. Now I'm the same, I just want to be with you all the time too."

Pip lifted his head from Krey's shoulder and showed him a warm smile. "I want to blame everything on the bond thing, but I do really like your company." Pip looked around Krey's face. His dark eyes were so intense, they often overshadowed his other features. Krey was attractive, especially to Pip. The way Krey ground his jaw with thought, the way his muscles popped in his cheeks when he was angry, the way his nose was a little crooked from years of fighting, and the way his eyes stalked everything around him were all things that tugged on Pip's attraction. The way Krey's hair shaped his forehead, the way he could make his dark hair better when he ruffled it, and the way his muscles in his neck surfaced with each calm and collected inhale were insignificant to others, but things that Pip liked. "I'm guessing that I won't be going to college tomorrow?" Pip asked, noting how the cuts on Krey's face were already starting to scab over.

"I don't know if you'll even be able to go back to college." Krey slipped a hand to the back of Pip's neck and embedded his fingers into his hair.

Krey's deep voice never failed to make Pip's heartbeat faster. "That's okay. It's the least of my worries right now."

It shouldn't be, Krey thought. But at least he's with me.

Pip moved his face closer and Krey filled the gap between them with a kiss. They had to take any opportunity to connect so personally before the chaos of the fighting began.

Pip liked how Krey emitted such an aggressive persona yet handled him with such care. Krey never rushed Pip and cherished every kiss like the memory of their lips together would last forever in his thoughts.

"I'm so lucky to have you as a mate," Krey whispered. Pip constantly kept his head above water when all Krey wanted to do was sink. Krey would forever be grateful.

Makena smiled and straightened up against the door frame. She didn't want to interrupt them, but she didn't want to spend more time than needed in the Sea Claw Packhouse, especially when their home was currently invaded. Though she had never seen Krey so- peaceful. She cleared her throat and Krey turned sharply to see who dared interrupt him.

"Why are you sneaking up on me?" Krey demanded as Pip quickly climbed off his lap.

"I'm not sneaking up on you. You just didn't hear me because you were so focused on kissing."

Krey scowled and Pip blushed.

An icy gust pushed through them and Pip leapt through the door and away from the cold. They walked behind Makena and Pip quietly asked what Krey was going to do about Francis. Krey walked the rest of the way with a thoughtful frown.

"Mum." Krey stopped at the end of the hallway, far from the room full of werewolves so their conversation wouldn't be heard. "I need to talk to you about something." Pip left them to it, not wanting to intrude. Krey watched him leave, immediately missing his company.

"What is it?" Makena asked.

"I'm going to make Francis my Beta. I know you don't like her, so don't bother talking me out of it. I don't care what you think of her. She has shown great potential." Krey stared hard. "So I'm not sure whether to announce it now, or later when we settle back into our home."