Chapter 13

"I don't deserve shit!" Krey yelled in the loneliness of his bedroom. The moon was high; he had tried to sleep for hours. His mind was spinning out of control.

He paced back and forth, thinking of the time he spent with Pip. "Why did I barely speak to him, then hug him? What the fuck was that all about?" He stormed towards the window. "He probably thinks I'm a right weirdo."

Krey gripped the front of his hair and stormed back to his bed. He picked up a cushion and slammed it down repeatedly. "I'll ruin everything," he growled. "I always do."

When morning came, Krey was sitting on his windowsill after a sleepless night, showered, clothed, and flaunting his frown to the wolves training below.

His mother let herself into his room when he didn't show for breakfast. Krey rolled his eyes and didn't turn to look at her.

"Jordan's lingering down the corridor. I think you should talk."

Krey said nothing.

"Son, a pack won't run properly with conflict."

"Then get me a new Beta," he grumbled.

"Or a new Omega."

Krey turned with a frown. "What?"

Makena was in the process of tying up her long grey hair. She scowled back. "I really like Francis, but why are you spending more time with an Omega than your Beta or Delta? It's strange Krey. People are talking."

"You can't keep your nose out for one second, can you?"

"Krey!"

"You don't care about anything other than a traditional system. Who gives a fuck about who I talk to? You don't see Jordan or Sid breaking down my door to make sure I'm not throwing myself out the window, do you?"

"And Francis does?"

Krey had to be careful. Once his anger overheated, he would say anything to hurt his mother, even if he didn't mean it. "Get out." Krey turned back to the outside world. Rain splattered down the glass, bouncing off the courtyard below and swamped the grass.

"Something is going on with you. You're more off than usual." Makena stepped closer, and Krey jumped off the windowsill and away from her hands. "Tell me what's going on. Why are you and Francis going out together for runs?"

If you really cared, you would have been the one to see me watching Pip, not Francis. Krey pulled a black jumper over his head. "Mum, just leave me alone."

"I love you too much to let you destroy everything your father worked for." Makena knew that would make her son listen. The pain on his face was like tiny slices all over her heart. "Nobody was ready for you to be Alpha, but you are now, and you have to deal with it. Take the responsibility and be the wolf your father wanted you to be."

"Mum," Krey shook his head with a humourless scoff. "Do me a favour and piss off."

Makena's lip trembled before she inhaled sharply. Her brown eyes leaked all the emotion she tried to hide. "I don't want to watch your self-sabotage any longer. Please learn to love yourself again, Krey. What happened to your father wasn't your fault, and the sooner you believe that, the better."

Krey bit the inside of his lip hard enough to taste blood. As soon as the door shut behind his mother, he covered his mouth with a hand and scrunched his eyes closed. Krey pulled at the front of his hair. You cry, you're weak. You cry, you're weak. You cry, you're weak.

Krey breathed heavy and opened his eyes once the tears had gone, and the grief climbing up his throat had melted. He stared blankly across his room, building his hard exterior until he felt numb.