Chapter 47

I know times are weird, but imagine meeting an angel and suddenly being on the run from demons, or living in a world run by vampires, or being an angels only weapon for a huge war, or being painfully shy and becoming a werewolf God when you only wanted a few friends, or being an angel and having the impossible task of taming a demon, or ending a war that you were born to end, fearing that the angel's prodigies might fail and heaven might fall, all because of one little tear in the fabric of the universe.

Drink tea. Dunk lots of biscuits in your tea, and read a book to take you away from the real world for a little while :)

- Sian

The corridors were empty. All the wolves were in the field, working hard to keep fit. Pip could see his breath as he hurried down the corridor to keep up with Krey, but at least he was warm before they reached the back door.

"Everyone should be out here," Krey said, pausing with his hand on the handle. "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

Pip nodded, despite his nerves. He had to be brave if he wanted to get used to the institute and those who lived there. He wanted to panic and freak out about his situation, but that would get him no closer to accepting the institute.

Pip had nowhere else to live, so he either accepted the institute, and Krey and the many werewolves living around him, or he made life harder for himself by retreating back to Crescent Town.

The institute was much better than his aunt and uncles house, especially now that Jordan was out of the picture.

Krey opened the back door. Sunlight flooded in, but so did the bright white snow that had been shovelled around the sides of the field and covered the trees beyond.

Pip pulled his coat zip higher and followed Krey along the stone yard. Almost everyone wore t-shirts and shorts, while Pip was bundled in many layers, and wore his yellow puffer Jacket and burgundy hat, scarf, and gloves.

He saw Krey's mum standing by a bench. Her long grey hair fluttered softly in the wind, occasionally touching her lower back.

Pip looked up to Krey's black hair and the grey strip of hair at the front. He wondered who had shared that little hint of uniqueness with him.

Makena stood with Sid whose red hair stood out for miles. They turned when Krey approached with his hand intertwined with his mate.

"Morning, Alpha," Sid said with a firm head nod. His eyes, blue like Pip's but lighter, flashed to the human and he lowered his head even more. "Morning, Pippor."

"Morning," Pip squeaked, pleased that someone other than Krey acknowledged him.

"Sit," Krey said, motioning to the bench, accidentally using his Alpha voice.

Pip sat.

"If you get bored, mum will take you to the canteen for breakfast." Krey's blank eyes traced his mother who sat with Pip on the bench.

Pip dared to look at those training on the field. More than he expected had stopped to stare, or continued to run and stare, or lifted weights and stared, or sneaked a glance after every sit-up.

He shuffled awkwardly on the bench as Sid and Krey walked to Francis who stretched on a mat.

Pip felt very exposed in his bright colours, and wished to blend in. He had a feeling that even if he wore all black like most of the people on the field, they would still stare.

"Sleep well?" Makena asked, there was a hint of a smirk on her lips.

"Yes, thank you." Pip even spoke in a polite quiet voice. "D-Did you?" He glued his eyes to Krey to avoid making uncomfortable eye-contact with anyone else.