Chapter 44

Krey quickly informed his mother that they were not going to the annual meeting and left her room in a hurry.

Makena rushed after them as Krey dragged Pip down the corridor. "You can't not go!"

Krey opened his bedroom door and gently shoved Pip inside. "The meeting was postponed because my uncle didn't accept his daughter's human mate. I'm not taking Pip anywhere near him."

"Your uncle has accepted it, finally. And it's not like he's your parent. I accept pip. That should be enough."

For a moment, Krey's frown turned to raised brows. He looked down on his mother's face of innocence. That morning, she had been so set on making him believe she didn't like his mate. "You accept Pip?"

"Of course, I do." Makena looked to Pip who awkwardly stood by the doorway, guilty that she had behaved in a way that was rather childish. She was angry at Krey for not telling her as soon as he had the dream. Makena could never be angry at someone who radiated goodness with a simple glance. She didn't have to get to know Krey's mate to know that he was a kind soul. There was something about Pip, something pure. "I'm surprised that you're a boy and surprised that you're human, but you're very sweet. My son didn't need another grump. Imagine the arguments."

Krey's scowl returned. He stormed into his room and Pip jumped out of the way. He tried to slam the door, but Makena shoved a boot in the way. "You're coming to the annual meeting. You can't skip it, not when your allies are breaking away from this pack after what happened."

"And you think showing my face will make them want to support this pack again? I killed the mate of the southern pack. They got their revenge. The end." Krey kicked her shoe from the door and slammed it.

"Showing your face with Pip will show them that you're not the monster everyone says you are!" Makena yelled through the door.

"Piss off!" Krey listened to her stomp down the corridor.

He turned to Pip. The human's shy blue eyes darted away. "I-I thought you said you don't kill the mates you capture," Pip whispered.

"I don't. That was an accident."

"What happened?"

Krey gripped the front of his hair and flopped into his desk chair. "I had captured the mate and taken her back here. This was in July last year. I took her to the roof and held her by the edge. I was just trying to scare her into agreeing to give us one of their pack houses. Sid was filming everything because I made him. He was showing the southern Alpha their mate on the edge to make him desperate. There were rumours that I killed mates if I didn't get the deal I wanted, but that was false until Jordan came up to the roof. He snuck up, so we didn't hear him, and yelled that my father wanted me to get down. Both Sid and I jumped, and I let go of the mate. She fell and died."

Pip had sat on the side of the bed. He was quiet for a moment, with a little frown. Krey wasn't proud of what he used to do, but he couldn't change it by being ashamed, he could only learn from that horrid night.

"You said the southern wolves got revenge."

"They came back and killed my dad." Krey's world darkened. If he hadn't shown off by taking the mate to the roof, his father would still be Alpha. "In November, they sent a group of humans to trespass. They looked innocent enough and at first, made up some lie that they were lost and that one of them was hurt. We didn't know that they were properly trained and had studied our pack with the help of the southern wolves. They were after me, but I was in my dad's office at the time. He was yelling at me about something, I don't even remember what about, but when the humans came into his office, my dad threw himself in front of me, the fucking idiot." Krey pressed his fingers into his bruised knuckles. His leg bounced up and down. His cold eyes fixed on the floor. "So then, in January, when you trespassed, that's why we all freaked out."